• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel/Epic Akira #1 and #2 just submitted

1 post in this topic

Hey everyone. New to the forum and to CGC in general.  The wife and I just finished cleaning out our storage room and I found a couple of boxes of comics from back in the 90s when I was collecting.  Nothing special to speak of...just a bunch of Dark Horse and Image titles that I liked growing up. Everything was bagged and boarded back in the day. I also found Akira #1 and # 2 from Epic/Marvel (1988 first print). In my inexperienced eye, they look to be in great condition and I would really just love to hang them on my office wall.  After looking online to see what graded examples are currently selling for I was pretty amazed at the disparity between what a 9.8 is listed for and what a raw or 7 goes for. I get that this is all a numbers game (how many have ever been submitted and in what condition) and that the standard to get to a 9.8 is super high.  I decided to have them graded and just completed my submission form.  I'm hoping these don't come back as a 7 or something and I've just wasted my money, but at the same time, I just had to know. 

It was a looong time ago, but I think I actually read my friend's copies back in the day, bought these, and immediately bagged/boarded them.  There is no wear on the spines at all, the corners are perfect.  Heck, even if they aren't in as good condition as I hope, it would be nice to have them slabbed and showcased on a wall.  My question is, are there any telltale signs I should look for in order to get an idea of what to expect?  Would pressing these be of any value here?  I don't think there is anything wrong with them that a pressing would take care of, but thought I would ask.  Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.