• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Regrets?

87 posts in this topic

I can honestly say that after selling a bunch of Slabbed/Raw books I only regret selling one, but I know I can easily replace it/them.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for some of the OA I have sold over the years, no matter how much I made on it.

What are some, if any, do you OA collectors regret letting go?

I can honestly say that after selling a bunch of Slabbed/Raw books I only regret selling one, but I know I can easily replace it/them.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for some of the OA I have sold over the years, no matter how much I made on it.

What are some, if any, do you OA collectors regret letting go?

I have sold and traded some real 'grails' over the years! Pieces that could be the cornerstone of anyone's collection... but, believe it or not, I don't have any regrets. I've always sold to buy other art I liked as much or better. If I have used the money to pay taxes or buy groceries I might, but I'm always trading up to my eye. Also, let me give you the number #1 secret in original comic art collecting.... ok, here it is... ssshhh....everything is replaceable. You wait long enough and everything comes around again. Or, a damned acceptable replacement. I can honestly say in almost 15 years that just about every piece I've seen for sale has been for sale again, either publically or privately. If you have the patience to wait you can have just about anything you want. Let me tell you that takes the pressure off. gossip.gifDF

everything is replaceable. You wait long enough and everything comes around again. Or, a damned acceptable replacement. I can honestly say in almost 15 years that just about every piece I've seen for sale has been for sale again, either publically or privately.

...unless it was the opening spread of House of Secrets 92 showing the first Swamp Thing... at $200 per page!!!! I don't think it's going for that price now frown.gif

everything is replaceable. You wait long enough and everything comes around again. Or, a damned acceptable replacement. I can honestly say in almost 15 years that just about every piece I've seen for sale has been for sale again, either publically or privately.

...unless it was the opening spread of House of Secrets 92 showing the first Swamp Thing... at $200 per page!!!! I don't think it's going for that price now frown.gif

Well that's a whole different subject. Yes, the price may be higher but ultimately you can have whatever you want in this hobby.

Hi Dan,

For the most part you are correct. Many things come around again, or at least very comparable pieces do. I have bought pieces the second time around, after passing on them the first time. However, if you want a very specific piece, it may never come around again. In fact, you may never even have that first chance at it, if it's already in a collection of someone who adores it.

I've had some regrets. I, like others, have only sold/traded to buy something I want more. But, all things considered, I would rather have kept everything and found a 100% cash offer that would have worked. Oftentimes, people want part-trade when I'd rather do all-cash. So, even though I get the piece I want more, I have had to give up pieces that I would have rather kept.

Best,

Oh I've had plenty of regrets. I used to buy original art back in the early to mid 80s when it was reasonably affordable. I had several really nice pieces that today would go for thousands of dollars.

I started buying original art and getting convention sketches when I got discouraged for a time buying back issues of comics. After a couple years I got interested in buying silver age comics again, and i couldn't really afford to buy both.

I kept some of my art for awhile, but before ebay came along, original art just didn't appreciate very much. There were covers I bought in the early 80s for $100-$150 that i was lucky to sell for $200 in the late 80s and even into the mid 90s. So when i needed some money to buy more comics, I sold pretty much all i had. I still have a few con sketches that i kept, but all the really cool and valuable pieces are long gone.

Even though some of the pieces I've owned would be more valuable, the one piece I wish i could have back is the cover to this comic http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/33/32878/batman353.jpg

It's one of the last pieces I held onto before i finally sold it.

Wait... you sold art to buy comics! That is a shame... I hope you were buying Mile Highs and 9.8's!! makepoint.gif

Oh I've had plenty of regrets. I used to buy original art back in the early to mid 80s when it was reasonably affordable. I had several really nice pieces that today would go for thousands of dollars.

I started buying original art and getting convention sketches when I got discouraged for a time buying back issues of comics. After a couple years I got interested in buying silver age comics again, and i couldn't really afford to buy both.

I kept some of my art for awhile, but before ebay came along, original art just didn't appreciate very much. There were covers I bought in the early 80s for $100-$150 that i was lucky to sell for $200 in the late 80s and even into the mid 90s. So when i needed some money to buy more comics, I sold pretty much all i had. I still have a few con sketches that i kept, but all the really cool and valuable pieces are long gone.

Even though some of the pieces I've owned would be more valuable, the one piece I wish i could have back is the cover to this comic http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/33/32878/batman353.jpg

It's one of the last pieces I held onto before i finally sold it.

Well if you want me to show you my masochistic side, I had a Neal Adams cover to Adventure #376. I bought it from a dealer at the 1982 san diego comic-con for, get this, $60. I traded it to Albert Moy in the mid-80s for $150 worth of other art. Albert also got my Frank Miller splash to Wolverine mini-series #2. It's the one where Wolverine is holding Yukio and jumping out a window with hundreds of arrows being shot at them. In addition to these two I once upon a time owned the covers to X-men #152, Great image of Storm fighting the White Queen, Captain America #254 by John Byrne, Green Lantern #104 by Mike Grell, Marvel Fanfare #5, a wraparound Dr.Strange cover by Marshall Rogers, and a great splash page from Death of Captain Marvel by Jim Starlin. The one where he is fighting all of his old enemies. I also had a few minor pages including a page from X-men 137 and a Perez New Teen Titans page.

As much as i regret not having most of those pieces today, my boss has me beat. Up until a few years ago he had the original cover art to Daredevil #181 as well as all the key pieces of interior art. I remember going over to my boss' house in the 80s and seeing the art. He had the 181 cover framed with the 2 interior pages where Bullseye kills Elektra on either side of the cover. All 3 pieces framed together. It looked really cool. I'm sure he got a lot more than what he paid for them, but nowhere near as much as he could get today.

Wait... you sold art to buy comics! That is a shame... I hope you were buying Mile Highs and 9.8's!! makepoint.gif

I wish. I was mainly trying to finish a few Silver Age DC runs. I unfortunately wasn't very picky on condition. as long as it was above fine and a decent price. I lucked out on some high grade Green Lanterns and JLAs that i have since sold, so i guess i did get something out of the art. Although I do wish I had a few of those pieces of art now.