• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thank you for any advice or tips

47 posts in this topic

I just started researching about investing in comics. I’m very interested in entering the market and competing. So far I learned about reading barcodes, cgc grading, and a couple other things... so my question right now and today is, regarding CGC... should i grade any comics that I believe will be worth something in the future, or how specific exactly should I be with submitting my comics in to be graded. For example: I picked up a nice set of 1-11 black lightning 1970’s... should I submit the entire volume to be graded or maybe just 1-3?  

ALSO what if you don’t know the value of a comic, can you submit anyways and CGc will let me know which tier it is?

any advice or tips about ANYTHING with investing in comics would be grately appreciated! I’m serious about investing & trading comics. Not a whole lot of money to start with but about every month I’ll be able to get a good bit. One brick a day makes a wall later. Let’s go ❤️

Edited by RPHjr7

16 hours ago, RPHjr7 said:

I just started researching about investing in comics. I’m very interested in entering the market and competing. So far I learned about reading barcodes, cgc grading, and a couple other things... so my question right now and today is, regarding CGC... should i grade any comics that I believe will be worth something in the future, or how specific exactly should I be with submitting my comics in to be graded. For example: I picked up a nice set of 1-11 black lightning 1970’s... should I submit the entire volume to be graded or maybe just 1-3?  

ALSO what if you don’t know the value of a comic, can you submit anyways and CGc will let me know which tier it is?

any advice or tips about ANYTHING with investing in comics would be grately appreciated! I’m serious about investing & trading comics. Not a whole lot of money to start with but about every month I’ll be able to get a good bit. One brick a day makes a wall later. Let’s go ❤️

put number one in the pgm section and they can help you out

3 minutes ago, RPHjr7 said:

Never mind bro. Someone helped me 

That particular reply was in reference to "Giant-Size Fantastic Four #1".

Are you talking about Giant-Size Super-Stars #1 (1974), or Fantastic Four Giant-Size Adventures #1 (2009)?

You know what? I take it back; You should definitely "invest" in comics. :smirk:

A few things...

1) If you don't have a love for the characters or even a certain character, writer, etc., it is very hard to just start "investing" in comics. I assume by saying this, you want to buy books, grade them and then sell for a profit. If you just want to collect books that have a chance of growing in value over the years, okay that is still investing but more of a long term thing. That can be hard to predict outside of going with tried and true comics that collectors have desired for ages (Your ASM 129s, X-Men 101s, that sorta thing).

2) Use the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade?" forum here to help get a grade on a book. There are a lot of really good eyes here and they can narrow down (95% of the time) the grade for you. This should help determining whether or not to submit a book. For example, maybe you have a Black Lightning #1 you think looks great and want to get it graded for value. However, that book is really only worth the time if it is 9.2-9.8 condition. 9.0 and lower, and they sell for $60-90, which is basically the time and effort it might take to get it graded in the first place (you might make a tiny profit). 

3) Ebay sales and other sites will always have sold results. Spend the time to look and even pay to subscribe to such sites. If you cannot find a book sold on Ebay and it was produced in the last between 1970 and now, chances are it is either super rare or so plentiful that it just does not sell and no one cares about it. If it is older (from 60s or 50s or 40s), well chances are that is more rare and you can ask more about it in the Golden Age forums.

4) In regards to your question about Giant Sized Fantastic Four #1...there is a book from the 70s (GS Superstars featuring FF) which in 9.8, probably would fetch around $200 to the right person. There is an ish from 2009 (FF Giant Size Adventures) that would probably be a very VERY tough sell, even in 9.8. Also, is this a "I think it is 9.8" or a CGC graded book? Again, get some feedback from people here who have been grading comics and collecting for years.

At the end of the day, if you have just jumped into comics period in the past couple months and are going to take a crack at making money, I advise against it. Unless you have the financial means to buy certain books and large collections of older and valuable material. Watching some youtube videos does not and expert make. Heck, I have been collecting for almost 20 years and I still learn something new every couple days. If you keep that mindset, and start small, you can definitely grow into an experienced collector. 

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

A few things...

1) If you don't have a love for the characters or even a certain character, writer, etc., it is very hard to just start "investing" in comics. I assume by saying this, you want to buy books, grade them and then sell for a profit. If you just want to collect books that have a chance of growing in value over the years, okay that is still investing but more of a long term thing. That can be hard to predict outside of going with tried and true comics that collectors have desired for ages (Your ASM 129s, X-Men 101s, that sorta thing).

2) Use the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade?" forum here to help get a grade on a book. There are a lot of really good eyes here and they can narrow down (95% of the time) the grade for you. This should help determining whether or not to submit a book. For example, maybe you have a Black Lightning #1 you think looks great and want to get it graded for value. However, that book is really only worth the time if it is 9.2-9.8 condition. 9.0 and lower, and they sell for $60-90, which is basically the time and effort it might take to get it graded in the first place (you might make a tiny profit). 

3) Ebay sales and other sites will always have sold results. Spend the time to look and even pay to subscribe to such sites. If you cannot find a book sold on Ebay and it was produced in the last between 1970 and now, chances are it is either super rare or so plentiful that it just does not sell and no one cares about it. If it is older (from 60s or 50s or 40s), well chances are that is more rare and you can ask more about it in the Golden Age forums.

4) In regards to your question about Giant Sized Fantastic Four #1...there is a book from the 70s (GS Superstars featuring FF) which in 9.8, probably would fetch around $200 to the right person. There is an ish from 2009 (FF Giant Size Adventures) that would probably be a very VERY tough sell, even in 9.8. Also, is this a "I think it is 9.8" or a CGC graded book? Again, get some feedback from people here who have been grading comics and collecting for years.

At the end of the day, if you have just jumped into comics period in the past couple months and are going to take a crack at making money, I advise against it. Unless you have the financial means to buy certain books and large collections of older and valuable material. Watching some youtube videos does not and expert make. Heck, I have been collecting for almost 20 years and I still learn something new every couple days. If you keep that mindset, and start small, you can definitely grow into an experienced collector. 

I really appreciate it. That’s crazy you said black lightning #1 - just picked up two of them in awesome condition. 😍 regard the giant-size, it was giant size superstars... I messed up the title. But good news, it’s still worth a lot more than I paid for it. I understand there is long-term investments and short-term money flippers. Like you said, one day at a time and I’ll learn. But ya, retired army combat vet, every month I’ll be spending thousands to get my collection up. Definitely looking forward to going to auctions and comic events. Thank you!!

1 minute ago, RPHjr7 said:

I really appreciate it. That’s crazy you said black lightning #1 - just picked up two of them in awesome condition. 😍 regard the giant-size, it was giant size superstars... I messed up the title. But good news, it’s still worth a lot more than I paid for it. I understand there is long-term investments and short-term money flippers. Like you said, one day at a time and I’ll learn. But ya, retired army combat vet, every month I’ll be spending thousands to get my collection up. Definitely looking forward to going to auctions and comic events. Thank you!!

Sounds good and again, get some feedback to confirm on a grade estimate. My brother has basic comic knowledge (he doesnt collect tho) and he thinks awesome condition is a book with one corner crease. I am not saying you grade the same way, I am just saying to make sure your grading is at least very good. That way, you will make the best decisions about which books to send to CGC to grade (knowing they will come back around where you think) and be worth more. All to often people send books off, only to get 7.0 or less grades on books that aren't worth that time and money for such a grade and would have been better off to sell raw.

And a final thought...just because a book has a chance at being a 9.8 does not mean it is worthwhile to grade. You may see a 9.8 online for sale for $200 and think "wow, I paid $5 for the same book and it is probably a 9.8...I better slab and sell!" But reality is, selling that book is the next challenge. Finding the right guy who wants to pay $150-200 for a Black Lightning #10, as an example, in CGC 9.8 is gonna be very hard. First, you gotta find the Black Lightning guy who needs every ish in 9.8. That guy may not exist. Or if he does, he may have done what you did and found a great copy and submit it for his own 9.8. 

I have known sellers with what I call "random" 9.8 books trying to sell them for AGES. One guy had a Marvel Two In One issue (was a late 70s book, like issue 78 or 79) that he tried to sell for $150 for 2 years. Then, he got tired of having the book and sold finally for $80. He still made a profit but to wait several years just to make $40 or so on a book was a waste for him. 

I really appreciate the advice. It makes sense. I understand the challenge of finding someone to buy what I have, and trust me I have time haha. I’m retired at 33, I’m a hustler. My plans are not just simply buying and selling at a higher price. Besides trying to do the quick flips, I actually do want to invest and maybe open up a comic store 15-20 years from now. So I’m definitely not focusing my efforts on the quick money. I want comics to be an addition to my retirement income. I have other plans for additional income too. Just trying to get into the comics before it’s too late haha 

21 minutes ago, fast eddie said:

Comicginger gave you some great advice there,,,,,, I can't add any other advice other than buy with knowledge,,,,,,,,,, read all you can,,,,,,,ask questions,,,,no matter how silly you think they are,,,,,,,,,,,, and maybe you'll get lucky,,,,,,, 

Thank you!!!

58 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Sounds good and again, get some feedback to confirm on a grade estimate. My brother has basic comic knowledge (he doesnt collect tho) and he thinks awesome condition is a book with one corner crease. I am not saying you grade the same way, I am just saying to make sure your grading is at least very good. That way, you will make the best decisions about which books to send to CGC to grade (knowing they will come back around where you think) and be worth more. All to often people send books off, only to get 7.0 or less grades on books that aren't worth that time and money for such a grade and would have been better off to sell raw.

And a final thought...just because a book has a chance at being a 9.8 does not mean it is worthwhile to grade. You may see a 9.8 online for sale for $200 and think "wow, I paid $5 for the same book and it is probably a 9.8...I better slab and sell!" But reality is, selling that book is the next challenge. Finding the right guy who wants to pay $150-200 for a Black Lightning #10, as an example, in CGC 9.8 is gonna be very hard. First, you gotta find the Black Lightning guy who needs every ish in 9.8. That guy may not exist. Or if he does, he may have done what you did and found a great copy and submit it for his own 9.8. 

I have known sellers with what I call "random" 9.8 books trying to sell them for AGES. One guy had a Marvel Two In One issue (was a late 70s book, like issue 78 or 79) that he tried to sell for $150 for 2 years. Then, he got tired of having the book and sold finally for $80. He still made a profit but to wait several years just to make $40 or so on a book was a waste for him. 

Thank you!!!!!!

1 hour ago, RPHjr7 said:

I really appreciate the advice. It makes sense. I understand the challenge of finding someone to buy what I have, and trust me I have time haha. I’m retired at 33, I’m a hustler. My plans are not just simply buying and selling at a higher price. Besides trying to do the quick flips, I actually do want to invest and maybe open up a comic store 15-20 years from now. So I’m definitely not focusing my efforts on the quick money. I want comics to be an addition to my retirement income. I have other plans for additional income too. Just trying to get into the comics before it’s too late haha 

That is great to have the time for that and I wish you well. Hopefully you live in an area where you can buy in bulk from people selling collections to accumulate books you want. Doing it all online (from ebay or otherwise) and trying to turn a profit that way is much more time consuming. Can def be done but requires a lot of devotion. 

56 minutes ago, HaDokKen said:

They helped you read the label on the slab?

No slab... got to get it graded. Also, please take no offense when I said nerds lmao I’m a nerd. But he came at me with disrespect so when I gave him the disrespect back he cried and got butt-hurt. It’s all good. I’m out here making money, ain’t sweating nothing

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

That is great to have the time for that and I wish you well. Hopefully you live in an area where you can buy in bulk from people selling collections to accumulate books you want. Doing it all online (from ebay or otherwise) and trying to turn a profit that way is much more time consuming. Can def be done but requires a lot of devotion. 

True, anything that makes money requires work... just depends on how much work we willing to do. I’m currently in Ohio, lots of old collectibles here. Thanks for the luck. I wish you the same with whatever you having going as well! Thank you for your time!