• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA Dennis the Menace

30 posts in this topic

Wow, that's a nice run of books you don't see too often. I read a hardbound collection of some of these early issues last year and it was fantastic. I bought Dennis off the stands as a kid and always loved his Giant Vacation Specials even using his Washington DC issue as a guide to visit the city with my parents!! You rarely see these books at shows; I've got some later issues than these and agree it is a very under appreciated run.

41 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, that's a nice run of books you don't see too often. I read a hardbound collection of some of these early issues last year and it was fantastic. I bought Dennis off the stands as a kid and always loved his Giant Vacation Specials even using his Washington DC issue as a guide to visit the city with my parents!! You rarely see these books at shows; I've got some later issues than these and agree it is a very under appreciated run.

Since you brought up the Giant Vacation Specials...here's the 1st one (the actual 1st Dennis Giant) from 1955...

22791830099_25f103b012_c.jpg

1 minute ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

By the way the Pines line of comics was an interesting group of books in the mid fifties with not only Dennis but a great Mighty Mouse series. I had a bunch of these from a flea market find as a kid; sadly no Dennis books though.

I started buying Dennis comics when I was about 10 years old.  I saved all I bought off the stand and started looking for back issues.  By the late 70s I had a run of #1 - #108 of the regular issues and stopped.  I picked up a lot of the giants along the way (many in very bad shape) and about a month ago I started to upgrade the worst condition giants, and also add the giants I missed.  I have 4 left to upgrade and one that I'm missing.  It's a nice inexpensive series to collect, unless you want any of the first five regular issues.

Just now, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Dennis is one of the few comics that I have actually laughed out loud while reading some of the antics Dennis gets into and the reaction of his constantly frazzled father! Try to think of the last comic book you read that actually made you do that!!

I know...the early issues are especially hilarious.  The story "Dennis vs. the Navy" in #6 is one of those...:roflmao:

Here a couple of my early ones - Dennis the Menace #4 and 13.  I still need #1,2,3,6,7,10 from the main series plus two of the Giants (#18 and 30 which each reprint the Hawaii special) and two of the Bible Kids issues.  I finished off the digest series a couple of years ago.

dennis 4.jpg

dennis 13.jpg