• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Off White ?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Could be off-white to white, which is what it appears to me.  But you've got to look at multiple pages and not just the splash to know better.

the pages are consistent through out. For example there was a Long Box of ASMs Copper Age never bagged, simply left in box, tightly packed.

Original owner probably purchased, gave it a quick look and put away. So its aged without being bagged for 30+ years

31 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

Page color doesn’t effect grade 

Well, mostly. In one of the few circumstances where CGC has officially stated aspects of its grading policy, page quality provides a "cap" on the grade a book can receive:

• White: Up to 10.0
  • Off-white to White: Up to 9.9
  • Off-white: Up to 9.8
  • Light tan to Off-white: Up to 8.5
  • Tan to Off-white: Up to 7.5

Additionally, "slightly brittle" books are capped at 6.5, and "brittle" books are capped at 3.5.

In practice, these rarely matter. Only unusual storage conditions are likely to result in, for example, a "light tan to off-white" book that would otherwise qualify as a 9.0 copy.

I mean, you shouldn't have a 9.8 with cream pages. All I'm saying but hey maybe I am wrong.

There are people who desire the white pages. Basically, if they like a newspaper paper, kinda whitey grey, that is white. If a slight yellowy tinge is invading, you may get hit with a more off-white label. If that colour is the permanent colour, it is more cream. 

Use an OWL card or even an image of an OWL card. Not that CGC uses it but it can help a lot and I found helped me when I was briefly interested in page colour. For me though, so long as it isnt brittle, I don't really care. 

5 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:
10 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

That's not always true

I’ve seen a 9.8 with off white pages 

Have you seen a 9.8 with cream or tan pages? 

You know, now that I think about it can Cream to OW pages still hit 9.8? 

2 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Have you seen a 9.8 with cream or tan pages? 

You know, now that I think about it can Cream to OW pages still hit 9.8? 

No, according to previous discussions on these boards.

However, those discussions have also revealed 5.0 with Brittle pages.

So, we can throw our charts and expectations out the window.

7 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, you shouldn't have a 9.8 with cream pages. All I'm saying but hey maybe I am wrong.

There are people who desire the white pages. Basically, if they like a newspaper paper, kinda whitey grey, that is white. If a slight yellowy tinge is invading, you may get hit with a more off-white label. If that colour is the permanent colour, it is more cream. 

Use an OWL card or even an image of an OWL card. Not that CGC uses it but it can help a lot and I found helped me when I was briefly interested in page colour. For me though, so long as it isnt brittle, I don't really care. 

where can i get an OWL card? that would help.

1 minute ago, cigars&comix said:

Oh wow - off white is really darker than what I expected. I think Im good with this, thanks.

Again, I don't think CGC uses this but it is a good indicator on the way it was on older books back when grading was done in the 70s and 80s. If you notice a bit of the off-white colour on edges but white everywhere else, they may denote off white to white. 

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Again, I don't think CGC uses this but it is a good indicator on the way it was on older books back when grading was done in the 70s and 80s. If you notice a bit of the off-white colour on edges but white everywhere else, they may denote off white to white. 

understood thanks. I am a little on the cautious side anyway when grading.