• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Off White ?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

understood thanks. I am a little on the cautious side anyway when grading.

Always a good thing! Honestly, I don't take page quality into account on my grading unless it is noticeably bad. And I rarely sell books that are better than 9.0 by my standards anyways so having off white pages shouldn't come into play. I have never had a buyer mad at a book because of page quality affecting the grade. But it could happen. I just make sure to take several front, back and one centrefold shot to give a sense of the overall condition for buyers to asses by their own standards. 

27 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, according to previous discussions on these boards.

However, those discussions have also revealed 5.0 with Brittle pages.

So, we can throw our charts and expectations out the window.

The number of books that received grades above the stated cap is very, very small. And at least several of those are known to be mis-labeled / QC failures / "mechanical error". In particular, the "tan to cream" 9.8 X-Men #214 isn't "tan to cream", and the "tan to pink" 9.6 X-Men #239 is of course nothing of the sort. I know there's a 9.8 copy of Realm #1 (the 1986 Arrow Comics indie) listed with "light tan" pages, but I really doubt that's a correctly labeled PQ either.

I know of two "brittle pages" books that are slabbed higher than a 3.5. One is the Jumbo Comics #123 at 4.0, which is a truly beautiful copy except for the page quality; it's possible they made a 0.5 point exception there. The other is a Planet Comics #43 in a 5.0 slab, for which I have no real explanation.

Regardless, the number of books that have a grade legitimately exceeding their PQ cap can probably be counted on one hand. For all practical purposes, CGC has remained consistent on this element.

2 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

The number of books that received grades above the stated cap is very, very small. And at least several of those are known to be mis-labeled / QC failures / "mechanical error". In particular, the "tan to cream" 9.8 X-Men #214 isn't "tan to cream", and the "tan to pink" 9.6 X-Men #239 is of course nothing of the sort. I know there's a 9.8 copy of Realm #1 (the 1986 Arrow Comics indie) listed with "light tan" pages, but I really doubt that's a correctly labeled PQ either.

I know of two "brittle pages" books that are slabbed higher than a 3.5. One is the Jumbo Comics #123 at 4.0, which is a truly beautiful copy except for the page quality; it's possible they made a 0.5 point exception there. The other is a Planet Comics #43 in a 5.0 slab, for which I have no real explanation.

Regardless, the number of books that have a grade legitimately exceeding their PQ cap can probably be counted on one hand. For all practical purposes, CGC has remained consistent on this element.

If exceptions are made, then there is no "cap", wouldn't you say?

6 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

touche_o_912792.jpg