• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a press/clean?

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am fairly new to much of the grading and services. I understand if I submit a comic to be graded I could also have it pressed to possibly increase the grade. I have also heard on the chat boards about pressing and cleaning. What is the cleaning service called and is that through CGC as well? I was looking at the fee schedule and saw a restoration fees, is that what they are referring too? One of the comics I posted to inquire about a grade it was recommended a press/clean and I just want to make sure I understand the terms. Thank you for the help. Slowly learning these things.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  We do offer a pressing service and a dry cleaning automatically comes with that service.  You can get a better idea of what our pressing services can do by checking out the CCS page on our website here: https://www.cgccomics.com/ccs-pressing/  You can also find the fees and current turnaround times for pressing here: https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/ccs-pressing/

Restoration is a completely different service and one that would require screening to see if restoration would be advisable.  Typically, restoration is best applied to very low grade copies of very high value key issues, like Action #1, Superman #1, and Batman #1, which can absorb the restoration cost and dramatically rise in grade. We do not recommend adding restoration work to most books, especially Modern, Bronze, and most Silver age. More commonly we remove minor restoration from books to return them to an un-restored state.

Fees for restoration are determined by the type and amount of work to be performed. The fees can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars. To determine if your book is a candidate for restoration and the possible cost you will submit your book for Screening at CCS. The cost for screening is $10 minimum or 1% of the declared value.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!