• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scratches on INSIDE of case?!?!
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hi Message board. First post here. I just bought this MEGA KEY book on ebay and it was JUST slabbed last month. When it arrived, I was super happy! until I looked close and put it on the wall. It turns out the inside of the case is full of scuffs and scratches. I thought CGC would replace the case which was obviously damaged before the comic was encapsulated. But - NOPE! I called and emailed customer service and since this is more than 14 days old, I am apparently SOL (and rude service today too - IMO). I am SUPER bummed because I just want this to look nice on the wall. I am also surprised CGC wont stand by their product past 14 days. Sadly, I still want the comic - I dont want to return it... but I hate having this comic present so poorly in its case. Any thoughts? (please note, the picture is only of some of the scuffs because there is a max picture size allowed)

Screenshot 2020-11-05 10.59.26.png

• Administrator
20 hours ago, keebler161 said:

Hi Message board. First post here. I just bought this MEGA KEY book on ebay and it was JUST slabbed last month. When it arrived, I was super happy! until I looked close and put it on the wall. It turns out the inside of the case is full of scuffs and scratches. I thought CGC would replace the case which was obviously damaged before the comic was encapsulated. But - NOPE! I called and emailed customer service and since this is more than 14 days old, I am apparently SOL (and rude service today too - IMO). I am SUPER bummed because I just want this to look nice on the wall. I am also surprised CGC wont stand by their product past 14 days. Sadly, I still want the comic - I dont want to return it... but I hate having this comic present so poorly in its case. Any thoughts? (please note, the picture is only of some of the scuffs because there is a max picture size allowed)

Screenshot 2020-11-05 10.59.26.png

Hey there, sorry to hear about the scratches. You could send the book in for a reholder only, which depending on the value of the book would be $15 - $35. 

I would love to send for a re-holder. The shipping each way is murder though (insured) and I know why CGC has the policy they do... It just seems very very poor practice to use this messed up of a case on a high value book and then tell me its my problem to send it back in. I know the original submitter should have looked more close at it and fixed it. But, if their intent was to sell it, odds are better than not they just looked at the grade, snapped 2 fast pics and sold it. I also get that if the damage were on the OUTSIDE of the case that it would be my problem. But since the damage is on the INSIDE of the case, the only way it could have gotten there is if CGC used a damaged case... which would be their fault IMO.

1 minute ago, keebler161 said:

I would love to send for a re-holder. The shipping each way is murder though (insured) and I know why CGC has the policy they do... It just seems very very poor practice to use this messed up of a case on a high value book and then tell me its my problem to send it back in. I know the original submitter should have looked more close at it and fixed it. But, if their intent was to sell it, odds are better than not they just looked at the grade, snapped 2 fast pics and sold it. I also get that if the damage were on the OUTSIDE of the case that it would be my problem. But since the damage is on the INSIDE of the case, the only way it could have gotten there is if CGC used a damaged case... which would be their fault IMO.

It's been speculated that the well scratches are to prevent Newton Rings. So, the seller likely prefers scratches to NRs.

Those are intentional!?!?! That seems like a terrible way to avoid newton rings! A microscopic gap fixes them? Why scratch the case and trash the eye appeal when you could fix it another way? Even if that were true, they should be strategically placed and these marks are all over the place at random spots. I doubt its intentional. 

7 minutes ago, keebler161 said:

Those are intentional!?!?! That seems like a terrible way to avoid newton rings! A microscopic gap fixes them? Why scratch the case and trash the eye appeal when you could fix it another way? Even if that were true, they should be strategically placed and these marks are all over the place at random spots. I doubt its intentional.

You can always crack it out and display it using good ole bags and boards.

4 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I’d let the seller know about your concern with the book. See if an amicable solution can be reached.  As was stated, the seller may not have been aware of the scuffing.  

I did. They offered to accept a return... but I 100% want the book for the price I paid for it. They were not aware of the scuffing and apologized. I believe the seller and if they got it back and posted it (possible sadly if its something they wanted to keep in their collection) then I cant blame them for not staring at it. Any way, I got a reply from CGC that I can accept.