• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canto II: The Hollow Men #1 Error

3 posts in this topic

Hello! :hi:

So I recently bought this book graded.  Not this exact copy, but the same issue:

IMG_4814.thumb.jpg.e85a17cb55e40b358758135cd5ff0689.jpg

After I bought it, it came to light that there were some production errors with this printing.  4 of the pages near the end of the story were duplicated from earlier in the story.  I took some pictures below to show the error from a raw copy I have.

When this error came to light, the publisher ran some corrected copies and distributed them, meaning there's now an "error" version and a "corrected" version.

The graded copy I have is almost certainly an error version based on the fact that the grading date is before the error was widely known.  If I send the graded book in, will CGC correct the label to accurately label it as an "error" variant?

Thanks!

IMG_4819.thumb.jpg.0051a47d7a891d7a2b54baf2c77499dc.jpgIMG_4820.thumb.jpg.4afedcd736fd9a17f3170684d1cfc7fb.jpgIMG_4821.thumb.jpg.20fc3a221acfae74d63ab3d3fbc740e8.jpgIMG_4822.thumb.jpg.873f92e464bf8ea1689eb86f2ae08c92.jpg

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  When a book is manufactured in such a way that it is missing some component that it was supposed to have, we designate it as a "MANUFACTURING ERROR", assign it a Green Qualified label, and state in the label text exactly what it is being Qualified for. For instance: "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT HOLOGRAM ATTACHED TO COVER", or "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT BLACK INK ON COVER". These are the type of errors that usually affect an extremely small amount of the print run.

There are some comics where a substantial amount of the print run was affected by some error, where the amount of errors released number in the hundreds, or even thousands. CGC will actually assign the error as its own "Variant Name", so to speak, and treat the book essentially as if was intended to be printed that way, complete with a Blue Universal label (although the Key Comment on the label will still explain what the error is). The error book at that point has, for lack of a better term, graduated into being it's very own variant, based purely on the sheer amount of copies that were released.

Examples:

- VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR #1 "Black Printing Error" Variant. More than 200 copies currently graded. It is a relatively common error for that book and is well known to many people in the industry.

- VENOM: FUNERAL PYRE #1 Only 3 error copies currently graded. This is Qualified and the error listed on label.

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  When a book is manufactured in such a way that it is missing some component that it was supposed to have, we designate it as a "MANUFACTURING ERROR", assign it a Green Qualified label, and state in the label text exactly what it is being Qualified for. For instance: "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT HOLOGRAM ATTACHED TO COVER", or "MANUFACTURED WITHOUT BLACK INK ON COVER". These are the type of errors that usually affect an extremely small amount of the print run.

There are some comics where a substantial amount of the print run was affected by some error, where the amount of errors released number in the hundreds, or even thousands. CGC will actually assign the error as its own "Variant Name", so to speak, and treat the book essentially as if was intended to be printed that way, complete with a Blue Universal label (although the Key Comment on the label will still explain what the error is). The error book at that point has, for lack of a better term, graduated into being it's very own variant, based purely on the sheer amount of copies that were released.

Examples:

- VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR #1 "Black Printing Error" Variant. More than 200 copies currently graded. It is a relatively common error for that book and is well known to many people in the industry.

- VENOM: FUNERAL PYRE #1 Only 3 error copies currently graded. This is Qualified and the error listed on label.

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

The number of error copies certainly number in the hundreds and possibly thousands.  Given that, I'd agree that this would basically become it's own variant in the eyes of CGC.  Further cementing this is the fact that there's already a variant cover of this same issue on the census listed as the "Momoko Variant Cover/Error Edition".  I figured this would be the case.

The question I'm still looking to have answered is this: if I send my graded copy to CGC, will they correct the label they way they would any other label error?  My current slab has no mention of the error despite being an error copy.  

Thank you for your help so far, @Jennifer F. (worship)