• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m on a Charlie Chan kick

36 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Were the Mr. Wong movies a rip off ? 

Yes. They kept Karloff employed during the horror ban of 1937-38, but most of them are boring. Mr. Motto with Peter Lorre were.pretty good though.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

Yes. They kept Karloff employed during the horror ban of 1937-38, but most of them are boring. Mr. Motto with Peter Lorre were.pretty good though.

Thx. Didn’t know there was a horror Ban. Interesting.  

15 hours ago, Larryw7 said:
On 11/16/2020 at 8:44 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Were the Mr. Wong movies a rip off ? 

I just read the first Mr. Moto book, reprinted by Otto Penzler's Mysterious Press. Completely different than I expected. Motto is a Japanese agent doing his best to bump off the hero, an American pilot. According to the introduction, the book originally appeared as a serial in the Saturday Evening Post and had been commissioned explicitly as a copy of Charlie Chan. I assume that in later books in the series, Moto morphs into being the hero. 

I give up trying to sort out the pics in the last post. I accidentally posted the CC 6 in its original Brand X slab and in wiping it out duplicated the image of the book in its CGC slab and the other books seems lost in the wilds of PB.

26 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I give up trying to sort out the pics in the last post. I accidentally posted the CC 6 in its original Brand X slab and in wiping it out duplicated the image of the book in its CGC slab and the other books seems lost in the wilds of PB.

:gossip: I told you years ago to get a flickr acct.  :sumo:

7 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
35 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

:gossip: I told you years ago to get a flickr acct.  :sumo:

But I keep hoping PB will finally improve. I know, I know, a triumph of hope over experience. :cry:

On 11/19/2020 at 4:07 AM, Larryw7 said:

Yeah, the censors in the USA were unhappy with gruesome material, and England decided to just outright ban the films, so the studios stopped making them.  But then in 1938, a theater in LA ran a double feature program of Frankenstein and Dracula, and it proved so popular they the. theater ran the films 24 hours a day. Universal saw this and did a double feature release all over the country, and the movies made even more money.then they did during their original run. Thus ended the horror ban.

tumblr_inline_o9pxuneQq61t893ka_1280.jpeg

I never heard that. Great history, made even better with the photograph!