• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scarcity over supply & demand?
2 2

35 posts in this topic

Not interested in getting into debates with children over kiddies comic books, you all need to get back to that 9-5 and respect your companies salary and its intend to create revenue for the business rather than arguing on forums. See you all on "My 400lb life". ^^

13 hours ago, Ash007007 said:

sonic.jpg

Boy, this looks mighty similar to this feeBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONIC-the-HEDGEHOG-1-nn-SEGA-1st-Appearance-1992-Rare-Promo-Comic-CGC-9-6-NM/114227105269?

s-l1600.jpg

Actual seller looks legit, just listed on 11/11/20.

Hope he gets his BIN of $7,549.99, that would validate the value (either cheap or expensive) of this specific item to at least one consumer who is able and desires to purchase it (that demand part).

If the item "mattered" to more consumers (relevance) and the supply was scarce, said price would likely increase.

See, so easy even kids can do it!

Stay conic!

-bc

19 minutes ago, Avi said:

Whats the spread for "doubling down on comments" and "superiority complex comments"

12 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Retired at 33, more investments internationally than you nerds have comics. Keep up the 9-5 kids!

7 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Not interested in getting into debates with children over kiddies comic books, you all need to get back to that 9-5 and respect your companies salary and its intend to create revenue for the business rather than arguing on forums. See you all on "My 400lb life". ^^

6 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Same as the spread as your creator will be tonight. :takeit:

Doubling down = 0

Superiority complex = +3

Just trying to keep score for posterity.

-bc

11 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Not interested in getting into debates with children over kiddies comic books

And boys and girls, that's what the typical troll says who originally posted this question in a comic book forum.

How original - you get a prize:

Deer Nuts and Fish Assholes? Find Out What's Really In These Cans [WATCH]

Stay Conic!

-bc

31 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

Not interested in getting into debates with children over kiddies comic books

I thought you loved comics and the art within?

Nevermind, go back to your international investments, your ESL classes, and your fast living early retirement lifestyle that involves scrolling through EBay looking at Sonic the Hedgehog comic books.

28 minutes ago, bc said:
34 minutes ago, Ash007007 said:

I think we can chalk one up to "rage quit" as well. Bound to be followed up more dumb comments.

A lot of good points have been made.

In response to the initial post, the market for Spidey, Batman, etc. is much much larger than it is for Sonic. Granted the desire for Sonic is one that could grow over time, as more people get nostalgic for it and desire it as part of their video game collection. Collectors who collect Sonic are likely big gamers and are wanting cool crossover pieces. Personally as a comic collector, the allure of Sonic just isn’t there for me.

A second thing (which was probably brought up) is print run. Older books from forties and fifties are tough to find period, let alone in good shape. Books from the 80s and 90s are generally easier to find and because people had a mind to collect pop culture items, it’s likely that a lot of Sonic books exist in high grade. If the supply is plenty and the demand is low, it won’t be very valuable.

Granted that can change. There are books in the comic world that were (and still are) plentiful but instead of being worth $1-10 like they were a decade ago, people now care enough to pay $100-1000 for some of these books. It can be tough to predict and people who try to might find they fail more often that succeed. This is why investing in books that are tried and true sellers (your ASM early issues, key first appearances of characters, etc) is generally a safe way to at worst be able to sell your books for what you paid in the future (and often times they go up a bit)

A final thought. I may have a one of a kind comic but if no one cares about it, it doesn’t mean it’s worth thousands or even hundreds. It also boils down what people start paying. And Hollywood/movies/shows/current comic arcs play a role in generating renewed or new interest in characters. Sometimes it takes off big time. Ten years ago I paid $60 for ASM 300 Newsstand in high grade. That same books is easily $500-1000 now, maybe more if graded at the top end. Now that book does have a first appearance of a character that has been popular since being introduced. There is lotsa supply (for direct copies for sure and there’s are still plenty of newsstands) but the demand is also very high. Between older collectors who never had a copy and newer collectors who are starting to have income to afford such books plus the willingness of people to pay what they do for ASM 300 has resulted in the increases seen. And you can’t ignore that the movies, even if bad, have been seen by people and likely sparked some of that increase. 

For a lot of younger and newer collectors, the silver and Bronze Age stuff is out of date and some people don’t like it. Plus there are so many keys and expensive books, they just don’t bother to collect. But for a character like Venom or Carnage, yes you have to pay up for their first appearances now but they really only have a handful of “big pricey key” books. It’s easier for a Venom fan to grab an ASM 300 and say 316 than it is for a die hard Spidey fan to save up for AF15 or ASM 1 or the plethora of older Spidey books out there that have value and are desired. So newer collectors just focus on having a killer Venom or Carnage collection. Or with Miles Morales, that’s their focus. 

There are a lot of factors and predicting the next big book is something I don’t bother with but enough people do. If you listen to those people you may do well investing in comics, otherwise just buy what you like and enjoy that.

I guess I’m not done lol....

With regards to Sonic. Video game character. This, his video game first appearance is where the value is. A first comic appearance is cool and eventually Sonic or video game collectors may branch out for such a piece. But really, I’m willing to bet for every diehard Sonic fan, there are 100 diehard Batman fans. 

As a Spidey collector, my goal (ok pure fantasy) would be to one day one AF 15. If someone else tried to say “hey I’ve got this vintage Spidey toy, it’s his first ever!” that would be super cool and likely have some value but it’s not something I’m wanting to pay up for over trying to buy his first comic appearance. If that makes any sense.