• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips and Hacks for a Newbie

6 posts in this topic

I am a newbie in this because my husband has online comic business and I want to do what I can to help him out. I have read articles in the websites. I am not yet familiar with how it is run. I plan to read the articles again. I am asking for any tips or hacks that may not be mentioned in this website.... Thanks! 

I think you might get better response with more specific questions, but here’s some very general questions about your situation which might result in more relevant advice

Is your husband starting a business? Or does he already have an ongoing business?  in which case asking him about how it works makes more sense.

so are you looking for tips on how to run a business? Or how to improve the business? Or just how to help your husband’s existing business with like tasks?

if you’re looking for little ways to help, here’s some possibilities that don’t require a ton of comic knowledge.

- help him sort comics, and possibly do data entry cataloguing.

- help him pack comics that have been sold for shipping

-do basic bookkeeping for the business based on purchases and sales and other expenses.

- help him physically move boxes of comics around

- help him put comics in bags and boards

- take shipments of sold comics to the post office.

- help him design or improve his website

14 hours ago, Diana Gamache said:

I am a newbie in this because my husband has online comic business and I want to do what I can to help him out. I have read articles in the websites. I am not yet familiar with how it is run. I plan to read the articles again. I am asking for any tips or hacks that may not be mentioned in this website.... Thanks! 

What exactly are you trying to help him with?

Hi, Everyone! 

Many thanks for your responses and your answers. 

First of all, my husband has ongoing comic online business. You would know him by Aslpride. He has read all this and he agrees with you guys on my question being nonspecific. I'm learning from this. LOL

@revat has pretty much guessed my position correctly. I am to do some hands-on work, bagging, cataloguing, data entry, packing, and shipping... 

I am trying to think of what I want to learn from this.

I want to know what makes comic books so valuable and high-priced?

I did get to learn about Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Dikto. Are there any well-known artist and writers that I should be familiar with?

What are some important history from the comic world that I need to know?

What websites are legit that I can go to for any information, pricing, history, etc on Comics?

I have Key Collector app on my phone. I would like to have more legit apps relating to comics, its pricing, description, history, etc.

PS @marvelmaniac You made my husband's morning! He is a computer geek and he loved your answer! :grin:

It's very reasonable to want to help your husband with his business, but I think (unless there's some specific aspect thing your husband needs help with), it makes sense to align your involvement with your existing personal interests and/or existing skills.  Like have an in that piques your interest or where you have relatively high value.  

BUT here's some more immediate practical stuff:

key collector app isn't too bad.  I'm not even sure there's a better one.

a lot of people use ebay sold listings to gauge prices for comics.  GPA analysis is the most commonly used website for 'graded (slabbed CGC' comics.

there are different ages of comics: Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Copper Age, Modern Age, which have to do with how old the comics are.

For high value (or really any) comic, its economics:  Supply vs Demand determines the price.  What drives demand typically are popularity of character or title, good or key story, great art, special cover, but often the biggest driver is the 1st Appearance of a character.  So assuming you have at least a passing knowledge of comic characters, the 1st appearance of any comic character you've heard of like Spiderman, Superman, Bataman are worth A TON.  ON the other end is supply, which can be influenced by age, or how many of a given comic were sold.  Obviously there's less comics from the 1930's available today, so those old comics are generally worth more, and key comics from those days are worth even more.  Another key factor is condition.  The more 'perfect' a given comic looks, the more it will be worth.  Obviously older comics are tougher to find in high grade, so the premium for high condition might be even more.  Who would want something and why? and how many of those are available and why?

Also it should be stated that the vast vast vast majority of comics are worth nothing, especially 70's and forward, even in reasonably nice condition.

Most comic people don't know everything about all comics, they collect and make their money with things they have interest in first, and they collect knowledge over time.  If your motive is purely profit without much comic interest, i'd just stick to the business/logistical side,  But if you want a way in, start with some stories/characters/creators you like.