• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposed #1 (1948) - help a guy out?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Point Five said:

Wow, nice! Probably 4.0 or thereabouts with so much BC staining and staple pop, but it certainly presents way better.

Thanks!

Do you think I should be worried about it getting a green label due to the staple? I know they usually only do that for higher grade books, but this one is kinda teetering on that ledge

3 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

Thanks!

Do you think I should be worried about it getting a green label due to the staple? I know they usually only do that for higher grade books, but this one is kinda teetering on that ledge

I mean, just throwing out guesses here, but with the back cover staining there's not just one flaw to 'overlook' so I wouldn't think it gets qualified. I'd think 4.0, maybe 4.5 blue. 

Hope you can get the book! Regardless of technical grade it looks super nice.

8 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I mean, just throwing out guesses here, but with the back cover staining there's not just one flaw to 'overlook' so I wouldn't think it gets qualified. I'd think 4.0, maybe 4.5 blue. 

Hope you can get the book! Regardless of technical grade it looks super nice.

I definitely don't plan on passing it up, just need to figure out a fair price. 

Thanks for the advice!

5 hours ago, Nic8612 said:

I definitely don't plan on passing it up, just need to figure out a fair price. 

Thanks for the advice!

The last recorded CGC 6.0 sold about a year ago for approx. $1250. So figure $400 to $500 FMV for a 4.0? This is a rare book. The whole title in fact seems to be hard to find, any of the numbers, they don't show up often. So my guess is that based on that 2019 CGC 6.0 sale, if you can score this for $600 or less, you're in right and if this was a must have, $750 would be my limit. 

Edited by James J Johnson

21 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The last recorded CGC 6.0 sold about a year ago for approx. $1250. So figure $400 to $500 FMV for a 4.0? This is a rare book. The whole title in fact seems to be hard to find, any of the numbers, they don't show up often. So my guess is that based on that 2019 CGC 6.0 sale, if you can score this for $600 or less, you're in right and if this was a must have, $750 would be my limit. 

GoCollect shows a 4.0 that sold on eBay back in June for $1500~

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Is this from a private seller? His quoting you a price? Or is it selling on a public platform, your having to outbid the world to take it? 

Private seller and he hasn't quoted a price, but he's using that sale in June as a reference point 

6 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Private seller and he hasn't quoted a price, but he's using that sale in June as a reference point 

So he's looking for that, or more? You know, 1 sale does not a trend make. 1 sale can possibly be an outlier, for many reasons. Some of which include shill bidding, a return, non-payment, a whole host of reasons aside from the buyer being the "first one through the wall", bidding in uncharted waters due to low or absent sales data. The results are also at the mercy of having two bidders with equal desire, and both being stubborn. One of them doesn't show up the next time that 4.0 auctions and the results may be $400. Offer him $900, see what he says. 

Heritage just auctioned a GA Sub 1 CGC 5.0 for $12,000 that was recorded on GP as $20,000 the last time it sold! 

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Nic8612 said:

GoCollect shows a 4.0 that sold on eBay back in June for $1500~

Approaching this logically, the most important question is, "What grade is the seller calling this?". That really needs to be addressed first. The issue of agreement of grade. Any dialog with the seller on that all important and primary factor? 

11 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Did you search the boards too, Nick? A copy of that book transacted on here a year or so ago, so at least it gives you another reference point on a tough book. Good luck!

I didn't! I'll try to find that one

12 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Approaching this logically, the most important question is, "What grade is the seller calling this?". That really needs to be addressed first. The issue of agreement of grade. Any dialog with the seller on that all important and primary factor? 

The seller is calling it a 4.0

With the popped staple and water stains in the back.  Even though the rest of the book looks to be in good shape, I just don't see it going higher than a 3.0

13 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Did you search the boards too, Nick? A copy of that book transacted on here a year or so ago, so at least it gives you another reference point on a tough book. Good luck!

Any chance you have a link to that?  I can't seem to find it