• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #359 CGC 9.8 in Heritage January 2021 Signature Auction
1 1

46 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow, 2 days left and at $105K!! Surpassed the 181 as expected and possibly not done yet.

9BF99524-B7A4-4163-AAFD-1AF84DD11A65.jpeg

WOW.....who in the world would pay 100K for that..first time investor?...You can buy a lot of nice GA/ SA for $105K

Edited by Mmehdy

35 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

WOW.....who in the world would pay 100K for that..first time investor?...You can buy a lot of nice GA/ SA for $105K

I think the sentiment was the same when the Batman 181 9.8 sold for $90K. I just think these books don’t sell in 9.8 really ever, and the appeal for these silver age DC keys has picked up some solid steam. So, big players now for these books in this grade. I mean part of me is in total agreement with you, and part of me feels like I can understand the sales. But yeah, $100K+ is pretty nuts!

10 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

...and not even with white pages :screwy: which should be mandatory for any Silver Age high end purchase.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:24 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Better image?

Untitled-DC359(98oww)crease (2).jpg

Sorry for the response delay - yes, I can see it now.  I'd have to see the book in person to make the call as to what it might be but yes, there's something there.

Speaking of covers, is there a noticable scratch either on the front cover of the book or the case right beside the 
wording "The Million"?

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Sorry for the response delay - yes, I can see it now.  I'd have to see the book in person to make the call as to what it might be but yes, there's something there.

Speaking of covers, is there a noticable scratch either on the front cover of the book or the case right beside the 
wording "The Million"?

If I had to take a guess on what is being analyzed in that photo, I'd say it's a slight production crease which is what it looks like to me to be honest. It wouldn't have gotten a 9.8 if it was deemed a general crease.

7 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

If I had to take a guess on what is being analyzed in that photo, I'd say it's a slight production crease which is what it looks like to me to be honest. It wouldn't have gotten a 9.8 if it was deemed a general crease.

What about the "scratch" on the front?

34 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

What about the "scratch" on the front?

No I mean I think you’re right on that. Appears to be a small scratch and not on the CGC case itself. Now should that disqualify it from getting a 9.8 coupled with the other minor defects I see, that’s a whole other question. I can see it going either way.

On 1/11/2021 at 8:28 PM, Mmehdy said:

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:
7 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Now at $111K.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 2.55.09 PM.png

Expand  

You have got to be kidding...TWO persons would pay over 100K for that book?...what am I missing here

Mitch, Mitch, Mitch.................have you so soon forgotten your own thread that you started last year?  doh!

Namely, the one entitled "GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial Crisis of 2020".  :baiting:

Is this not what you were expecting when you started your big prognosticator thread here last year?  In other words, a pandemic K-shaped driven economy where a large proportion of the population would get a lot richer with nowhere else to spend their extra monies except for online goods such as on collectibles auction sites while stuck at home suffering from cabin fever.  hm  :takeit:

6 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

You have got to be kidding...TWO persons would pay over 100K for that book?...what am I missing here

That there are people with a whole lot more money than you or me, a couple of whom would really like to own this copy and wouldn't mind paying fu money to get it.

For those mentioning better alternative investments, consider that the buyer may not be making an investment at all, and have more than enough in the way of other investments to buy this copy as a collectible object rather than an investment.

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Mitch, Mitch, Mitch.................have you so soon forgotten your own thread that you started last year?  doh!

Namely, the one entitled "GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial Crisis of 2020".  :baiting:

Is this not what you were expecting when you started your big prognosticator thread here last year?  In other words, a pandemic K-shaped driven economy where a large proportion of the population would get a lot richer with nowhere else to spend their extra monies except for online goods such as on collectibles auction sites while stuck at home suffering from cabin fever.  hm  :takeit:

I do not think by any means we are in the clear from the virus, the economic consequences which we will feel for years to come, the coming great "inflation especially the more the money that is printed and given away and I think we need as a aside to  print more money avoid economic collapse, but somebody is gonna have to pay for it at some point and that is gonna mean higher taxs to pay for  the great economic stimulus of  2020/21  and this is just the beginning and a major "at home change" of the workplace, the demand for some land of a SFR property for additional workspace or bedrooms for kids coming back home which is creating tidal waves in the housing and job market.

At some point in that economic day of reckoning everything, including GA/SA is gonna take a hit. It is a question of when...looking back at the post, I indicated 3 years...possibly 5 and I think we are on target  time wise for that  financial correction. My advice is still stands, even in 2021...Sell GA/SA with condition, page, staple etc issues and trade up either condition wise or book wise. If you have any restored, altered, or ungraded GA/SA bundle them up and upgrade, that will protect you such that your books will be the last ones to feel any price correction, and survive any price correction untouched or in some reduced manner or form.

Given what has occurred in 2020, and now it's  early 2021 and hopefully in the virus peak, I would add a additional strategy for GA/SA collecting, and that is go thru you collection, take duplicates, books you don't care about any more, books in which you want in better condition, sell them, and hold on to the money and wait for the inevitable dip in prices or demand or both which is coming. Today in 2021 with some of the prices bordering on insanity or not economically sound or viable our price structure is more subject to larger price swings as opposed to say 20 years ago when Overstreet to some extent had a damping effect on price growth. Time to hold is unknown, and risk that some price inflation will occur but it is something to consider, when any market for example real estate says everything is going up...that is the clue you are in the middle of a price bubble or top of the market and it will adjust, gravity applies at some point. So might be possible to sell now and get better or higher quality material later by selling when the market is strong.

2020 was unique year, same for 2021...it 2022 that I worry about.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 1/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, LDarkseid1 said:
On 1/11/2021 at 8:28 PM, Mmehdy said:

I think the sentiment was the same when the Batman 181 9.8 sold for $90K. I just think these books don’t sell in 9.8 really ever, and the appeal for these silver age DC keys has picked up some solid steam. So, big players now for these books in this grade. I mean part of me is in total agreement with you, and part of me feels like I can understand the sales. But yeah, $100K+ is pretty nuts!

I guess it's nutty enough now for this consignor to give it a shot to see if this single highest graded copy of TOD 10 can also hit 6-figures:  

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2F7a985264101%2Fccd4307c-d393-4d60-9299-6ef8409b4401.jpg&t=1610598335&ymreqid=a6a1c63e-9192-c5bd-1cf0-86000101a900&sig=k.OFvhepoKofEXuhJnE0zA--~D

If I remember correctly, didn't this exact same copy sell for something like $85K in a CL Auction a couple of years ago?  hm

Or was it another one of these non-sales since I believe it has been listed on the CL website for the longest while at $125K, with no takers for the book?  (shrug)

All I know is the buyer who brought it for only $4,370 back in 2005 was the real big winner here.  :whee:  :banana: