• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree books appeal?

41 posts in this topic

Could someone explain to me the appeal and rationale for paying a premium for a pedigreed book like Mile High, Allentown, etc? I must confess that I just don't get it.

It seems that a CGC NM 9.4 with Off-White pages with no pedigree is basically the same as the Mile High copy of the same book, also graded 9.4 by CGC with the same page quality. I sure wouldn't pay more for one over the other.

I'm not suggesting people who are into the pedigree books are "wrong"...I'm just trying to understand their thought process....I just don't understand it. Is it the just the fun of owning a book from a famous collection? Or am I missing something else???

Whoops...I see that this topic has already been exhaustively discussed in a recent thread. I guess great minds think alike. Well, I will just read those posts to answer my burning question......

It used to be that when you bought a pedigree book you knew it was of extrodainary quality and the grade assigned is more then likely accurate. It was basically a feeling of security...but also in some cases the books are the best "looking" copies in existance thus the high multiples.

Brian

A lot of collectors want their runs to look consistently hi-grade. To maintain that level of excellance in the past made 1 chase the pedigrees, warehouse copies or Harvey file copies. Now cgc 9.4 & 9.2 seems to make pedigrees redundant, but I would still like BRAGGING rights to say I own a Church Mile High, Allentown, Wht Mtn, Curator, cool.gif Boston or Nic Cage copy.

I own a # of FF's and Strange Tales issues from the Winnipeg collection. As far as I'm concerned, the books I bought were all overgraded by Showcase (9.2-9.4 really 8.0-8.5). Nice gloss and white pages, but most books have the owners name written in pen on the top of the books ( doesn't bother me, but would bother some on this board). Most issues I have noticed in CGC holders rarely grade over 9.0.

tom,

i've noticed that winnipeg's are one of the bottom tier pedigree books since there is a name written on ink on the cover. but other pedigree runs such as white mountain, larson, edgar church has writing too. blush.gif ask robert storms about this subject, he has more knowledge since he is a nationwide dealer, as for showcase, they do tend to overgrade their books, but as always they do offer a total refund if unhappy. grin.gif they are really great and understanding about it too. tongue.gif

supa

The name or coding/ i.d. marks of the Winnipeg collection don't bother me as other pedigrees r coded on frt cvrs. Some collectors may turn up their noses at Marvel keys that r ONLY UNrestored 8.5s. Take a step back, & look at your own collection of silver Marvel or DC keys. How few of those made the Unrestored 8.5 or better mark?

....i actually own two books from the winnipeg collection and both are graded at cgc 9.4 with OW to W (no writting on cover noted)............ grin.gif

.......so i am happy with the pedigree and will search for more............. grin.gif

Yes, there are pre-1965 Silver in the Western Penn collection. However, most of them were sold in the early 1990s. I belive that the current seller who are selling books from this collection only has the late 1960s and later books. I recall the Daredevil 1 and 2 selling pre-CGC days for around $5500 and $2000 on eBay. I guess most of the early books are in private collections. Don't know the status of the early keys and their grades, as you don't see them for sale! frown.gif