• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeCarlo Betty piece uncensored and grown up Power Puff Girls

2 posts in this topic

I couldn't get on this site for awhile. I've added some cool pieces to my gallery (Robert Plunkett gallery at www.comicartfans.com, link: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=255 ), notably these:

In 1962 the legendary Dan DeCarlo did a pin up for Archie Comics that was a variation on a joke he often used in his cartoons for risque comic magazines. It involved Betty as an artist’s model. As originally done it, crossed the line of what was acceptable girlie art in Archie. Consequently, they made him change it. Although the piece was reprinted several times, it has never been seen publicly as DeCarlo originally made it, at least not until now.

I own the original of that piece and have, with a backlight, a magnifying glass, some research and “photoshop” produced a digital version of at least a close approximation of what DeCarlo originally did. I have the piece as reconstructed (minus the extraneous stuff above the picture) with the Betty as published off to the side and a lengthy explanation of how I arrived at that result on my Legends of Genre Art gallery.

If you've ever wondered what the Power Puff Girls would look like if they were twenty-something and real, check out my Way Too Weird gallery.

My Good Girl Art V gallery has a bunch of new ones, notably an Allison Sohn Black Cat and a DeZuniga Catwoman.

Wally Wood and Mad fans should check out my newest, a 1960 comic strip satire on my Comic Strips gallery.

That Betty pin-up is a great piece. And an interesting analysis of DeCarlo's original artistic intent. There have always been rumors about the original "condition" of Betty and Veronica in Archie original art--primarily regarding DeCarlo and Harry Lucey... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Your Veronica pin-up is also a classic. cloud9.gif