• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose cover question

7 posts in this topic

I am new to grading comic books. I have an issue of what if 105 with a loose cover. My question is, if nothing else is wrong with the issue, what is the best grade this book can achieve? Thank you for the info, here are the pics. The cover is not detached and may just be due to spine roll? I bought it with the info I posted and am now looking at it.  I will try to post in the other forum. Appreciate the help!

20201214_190735 (1)_edited.jpg

20201214_190744 (1)_edited.jpg

20201214_190757 (1)_edited.jpg

20201214_190801 (1)_edited.jpg

20201214_190804_edited.jpg

20201214_190808_edited.jpg

20201214_190821_edited.jpg

20201214_190834 (1)_edited.jpg

20201214_190854_edited.jpg

20201214_190857_edited.jpg

20201214_190900_edited.jpg

20201214_190936_edited.jpg

Edited by wpitt74
not enough info

Welcome To The Boards!!!

Unfortunately your question is very vague and cannot be properly answered without more info, a book is graded in it's "overall" condition so assuming one defect on an otherwise NM/MT 9.8 is almost impossible to answer, there is no Black and White answer.

Loose cover?, at one or both staples?, staple tears?, spine damage/creasing/ticks?, centerfold loose?

My suggestion would be to take pics of the front/back cover, spine/edges/corners/staples, splash page/inside front cover, centerfold, inside rear cover and post them with your question in the ...

"Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade" Section.

To answer your question as asked...

The first mention of a "centerfold being loose" is in FN 6.0, the first mention of a "cover being loose" is in VG 4.0

I suggest you restate your question, keeping in mind that "loose" is an ambiguous term when it come to comics.  A cover can be (1) tightly bound to the interior at both staples, (2) loose but still attached at one or more staples (due to small tears in the cover stock), (3) completely detached at one or more staples (but still present), or (4) completely detached and missing (in which case the book is incomplete).  The same four options exist for the centerfold (or centermost wrap).

Many comic sellers use the word "loose" as a synonym for the word "detached".  In truth, it is not.  :preach:

I wish I were able to give you more precise info on your query pertaining to the "loose cover".

Even with your pics it is hard to tell since you cannot see "cover looseness" in a photo unless the cover is actually detached or pulling away from the staple.

It appears to my eyes that there are minute staple tears but without having the book physically in front of me it is impossible to tell.

Also, the definition of "loose" is very generic and leaves a lot to opinion.

adjective
not firmly or tightly fixed in place; detached or able to be detached.

Staple Wear/Pull/Pop: Area around the staple is creased or torn, and in extreme cases the staple is pulled through part or all of the book. Loose/detached covers are considered a major defect.

9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT (VF/NM): "Only the slightest staple tears are allowed."