• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are RRP's getting out of hand?

34 posts in this topic

After reading the threads Tom kindly dug out, its funny to see people talking about a 9.8 SS going for $ 3K....i spoke to a guy last week who sold one for $ 5K not that long ago so its still running on those predicted legs ( for the minute wink.gif )

I for one will be keeping my copy 10 years and might look at selling it then.....if it sells, great....if not, i care not as i love the book anyway!

Cheers,

As I said two years ago, and I continue to say so, I believe this book will have significant legs - and the sales price for this book, which shows a continual uptrend in prices for raw copies over the time period bears this out. I do not believe the other RRPs and Diamond Retailer Incentive editions will have the same legs.

While I cannot totally agree, this does clearly illustrate your point. 893applaud-thumb.gif

As I said two years ago, and I continue to say so, I believe this book will have significant legs - and the sales price for this book, which shows a continual uptrend in prices for raw copies over the time period bears this out. I do not believe the other RRPs and Diamond Retailer Incentive editions will have the same legs.

While I cannot totally agree, this does clearly illustrate your point. 893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif

What's the story behind the Fables 6 version? I've owned one, but I really have no idea about the print run, where it came from, etc. They dont seem to be on ebay very often.

One actually just ended at $127 but it was a Katrina benefit so the price was almost certainly artificially inflated.

What's the story behind the Fables 6 version? I've owned one, but I really have no idea about the print run, where it came from, etc. They dont seem to be on ebay very often.

One actually just ended at $127 but it was a Katrina benefit so the price was almost certainly artificially inflated.

The Burbank RRP had, as its giveaway, the Batman 608 RRP, the Fables 5 (5 or 6?) and the Global Frequency 1 RRP. The Fables book is, I think, much much harder to find than the Batman because it wasn't initially saved. The Global Frequency RRP, btw, doesn't sell at all.

I for one will be keeping my copy 10 years and might look at selling it then.....if it sells, great....if not, i care not as i love the book anyway!

Cheers,

All due respect, but I have a feeling that in 10 years you'll be disappointed when you go to sell...by then the fad will likely be something new, and these RRPs will fade into the background. Better to strike while the iron's hot and put the money into something blue chip.

Just my opinion, though. If you just like having the book, of course, there's no pricetag on that. thumbsup2.gif

totally agree with shrunkhead 100%... i decided to buy some variant comics and bronze key comics 3-4 years ago...the variant comics drop prices while the bronze age rose in prices... 893applaud-thumb.gif RRP is in the same league as all variants...museum edition...sketch...remarked...too many options. insane.gif

Im really not bothered TBH....i'm buying them as a collector rather than a speculator!

i've most RRPs in 9.8 or 10.0 CGC'd and am happy to leave them to my kids laugh.gif

I recently sunk some money into early silver age stuff so i'll likely shift them in 10 years but under the same mentality....if i dont get what i want for them, i'm not bothered about selling them....

Cheers,

The Fables 6 RRP copy was given out at the same RRP meeting as the Batman 608. The Global Frequency was also given out at the same meeting BUT it was also handed out at the DRS meeting. It has been speculated that the print run of the Batman and Fables are circa 400 and the Global Frequency and DRS editions circa 1,000. To my knowledge DC has provided no official print run figures for these books so if anyone gets the opportunity – please ask! I did try but (as expected) received no response.

I snapped up the Global Frequency and Fables ones when they first came out but made the mistake of waiting for the Batman to drop in. I though they were really cool but am not fed up of the increasing numbers of this sort of thing.

Most of the DC ‘Platinum’ editions were given away at similar Retailer editions in the 1990’s and they only sell for $5 to $10 with a couple of exceptions in the $50 area.

Earl.

(Reformed RRP collector.)

I notice Jay Company are currently marketing two 'RRP' versions of Teen Titans. Does anyone know if these are actual DC publications or just some covers Jay Co. off printed and stapled to copies of the standard Teen Titans issue?

Earl.