• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the true 1st villain team-up?

27 posts in this topic

Just curious to see what the earliest known 1st super villain team-up in comics is. While I know Fantastic Four #6 is labeled by CGC as the '1st Marvel villain team-up' that is the Silver Age already.

I personally know that More Fun Comics #70 (1941) features both Wotan and Karkull teaming up in order to take on Doctor Fate (Wotan was left buried underground by Fate, and managed to project his astral form to find help - he meets Karkull, who has been trapped in his shadow form by Fate and agrees to team up). What is the first DC team up, I assume it isn't More Fun #70, and what is the first ever team-up in comics in general?

Found this article by someone who was also trying to figure this out, and it does sound like Wotan and Karkull might be the first team-up (not the first super team though, just two established villains joining forces).

http://outofthequicksand.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-supervillain-team-comic-book.html

Figured I might as well post the epic team-up from More Fun Comics #70. I loved reading this, as it felt like a very natural progression of Dr.Fates villains to meet in such a way and share knowledge (with Wotan teaching mystic arts to Karkull in order for him to be able to break Wotan out of the prison he was placed in by Fate)

RCO008_1466364718.thumb.jpg.dea235b3b145567c04f2694e9a6aad7a.jpg

10 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I was going to say that but I'm sure its not the 1st time 2 villains teamed up. But probably two Super Villains it is.  

Wotan and Karkull still precede that by several years, and both were Fates big foes at the time (and who actually did more than just rob banks or other local Gotham crimes, regardless of popularity, these two were most certainly super villains)

4 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Wotan and Karkull still precede that by several years, and both were Fates big foes at the time (and who actually did more than just rob banks or other local Gotham crimes, regardless of popularity, these two were most certainly super villains)

Oh Ok, I didn't know. Good chance that is the 1st villain team up. More Fun 70 is from 1940, so could very well be the one. 

1 hour ago, Chief1332 said:

Who were the major good guys in the Platinum age?  Tracy comes to mind... did he ever have a dealing with more than a single villain in this age?  Would a villain from this era be considered a Super Villain?  idk..

I'm not at all well versed in Tracy, so maybe someone else can let us know if there ever was a major team-up, but from what I understand while all of them were criminals in one way or another, not all of the criminals in the strip would qualify as "villains", and even then a good deal of them were operating in an organization run by Big Boy (so calling any joint criminal ventures a 'team-up' seems to be a little disingenuous). I dunno, like I said - not familiar with it either so no clue (shrug)

Regardless of if a platinum era team-up occurred, it feels safe to say More Fun #70 is the first true DC super-villain team-up at least (and should be labeled as such once fully confirmed, much like Fantastic Four #6 is by CGC)

On 6/3/2021 at 3:35 PM, shaheed said:

Captain marvel adventures 22 (1943) would be the first ever super villain team. Put together by mr mind

That is two years after More Fun Comics #70, as I'm specifically referring to the very first team-up between two established villains rather than a team.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Nah, yer all smokin su'm.   Jack Cole dreamed up the ultimate Yellow Peril villain – a sinister, mystical Asian mastermind who seemed to be part man and part devil.   The team-up (Yellow Peril/Satan) is internal and implicit, but it still counts!  Yes, I'm referring to The Claw in Silver Streak Comics #1.  :devil:

Edited by Pantodude

2 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Nah, yer all smokin su'm.   Jack Cole dreamed up the ultimate Yellow Peril villain – a sinister, mystical Asian mastermind who seemed to be part man and part devil.   The team-up (Yellow Peril/Satan) is internal and implicit, but it still counts!  Yes, I'm referring to The Claw in Silver Streak Comics #1.  :devil:

Go home Pantodude, you are drunk :D

Seems others agree with my above suspicion, Key Collector Comics has now updated their More Fun list to include #70. If I ever submit another copy of this book to CGC (or resubmit the one I already have) I'll be sure to include a note to have them update the label (if anyone else does this please post a pic of the updated label here)

https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/series/more-fun-comics-3,6441/

On 8/22/2021 at 8:37 PM, BB-Gun said:

July 1942 Daredevil 1 was filled with crossovers...villains and heroes.

19777916592_6c0518d1f3_b.jpg

That's a super awesome issue, and while technically a month before More Fun #70 and filled with crossovers, I can't see this counting as an actual Super-Villain Team Up (Regardless of deeds, IMO Hitler was not a comic book 'super villain' in the sense that I'm talking about here. Maybe he is, but as far as DC goes it looks #70 is the key first super villain team up)