• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the true 1st villain team-up?

27 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2021 at 9:16 PM, Captainwonder said:
Harry G. Peter
In-story information
Member(s) Queen Clea
Cyborgirl
Doctor Poison
Giganta
Jinx
Trinity
Blue Snowman
Cheetah
Eviless
Hypnota
Zara

Wonder Woman 28 had villainy Inc. From 1948 

3B8BEC50-6881-494F-BC8B-BE3DC8F31FB2.jpeg

Nice, but alas over seven years after More Fun #70 and several other Captain Marvel team-ups :D

On 8/26/2021 at 8:28 AM, Captainwonder said:

Who was I that team up? 

Look back on the first page of this thread. More Fun #70 (1941) featured the first time two separate super villains (already established independently) team up: Wotan and Karkull, both enemies of Doctor Fate in prior issues.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:22 PM, MrBedrock said:

I wonder why they didn't mention the historic super-villain team-up on the cover?

morefun70.jpg

I'm glad they didn't. I enjoy the uncluttered look with no captions or blurbs. Pure and exciting, timeless. (Maybe I misunderstood: You may have meant on the CGC label.)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 8/26/2021 at 11:18 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'm glad they didn't. I enjoy the uncluttered look with no captions or blurbs. Pure and exciting, timeless. (Maybe I misunderstood: You may have meant on the CGC label.)

I think he meant the actual cover art, and I do prefer a clean cover (though in this case it would have been nice if the cover reflected the actual story inside. The story art and cover might have been developed independently of one another, which is something you see with lots of GA books resulting in a cover that isn't a good representation of what you find within). Also, most books were made with the assumption the reader has not read any of the prior issues, so that is why most contained backstory within for the many first time readers, so advertising it on the cover might not have actually meant anything to the kids at the time who didn't know who those two characters were.

In the case of the CGC label, I think they should update the label since there is already a precedence set by Fantastic Four #6.

2106199263_ScreenShot2021-08-26at12_25_46PM.thumb.png.9f97971209dd74d9b2bd63c0933af496.png

Edited by Sauce Dog