• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problem with the Board Software Update Yesterday
5 5

82 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2020 at 9:09 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I look at the boards on my iPhone.  But sometimes I’d switch the theme on the previous boards to the desktop version.  Is that not possible anymore?

Same -    
I’m still trying to find out if it is an option (hidden somewhere) or will be coming back shortly or if it is gone.

I still can’t see signatures on iPhone either. 

On 12/17/2020 at 3:57 PM, dena said:

Good morning,

We are aware of the problem associated with the software update that took place yesterday and thank those who reached out to us about it.  The following are the issues we are already working on:

• New top post/posters sidebar that appears on the right in some threads
    • It looks like this sidebar only appears once a thread has reached a certain number of replies. We're looking to confirm this. We feel like we should hide this because we don't think users particularly care about this info - we are discussing that.

Hi Dena,

Do you have any update regarding the 'Top View Summary' sidebar yet? Example below to the right ('Top Posters In This Topic'):

Capture.thumb.PNG.beba966bbe8ea817ca1bda3cc33b700f.PNG

The Invision website description indicates that this is a function that admin will be able to switch off:

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/45-topic-view-summary-and-more-r1191/

Perhaps a poll to establish how the members feel about it might be a good idea? I can see pros and cons myself but it takes up an awful lot of space and compresses the posts which are likely what most readers are interested in.

In respect of the 'expand' functionality for quoted posts that has crept back in - example below:

Capture_LI.jpg.a940de66f708282da258625d7c2767ca.jpg

...the members voted this down back in 2017:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/415227-abbreviate-quoted-text-helpful-or-annoying-extra-click/

Unless you feel the members should be recanvassed - I haven't seen many complaints about it - this is something which can be switched off if you agree.

Finally, and perhaps for the benefit of others who have queried it (you probably already know I'm sure) the 'Member's Solved Count' function appears to relate to the old 'Change Requests & Voting' forum which has long since been archived:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/457206-members-solved-count-what-is-it/

This is perhaps why the feature only seems to appear against members when they post in the Q&A forums:

4.PNG.42a142543ea88f9a50ac0b918e200035.PNG

If that is the case, that function too can be switched off as we no longer have the upvoting / solved functionality in any of our live forums for the count to have any merit / purpose.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Steve

4 hours ago, littledoom said:

How do I follow a thread while using my mobile phone? 

I don't see a way of doing that either - the "Follow this content" button is missing on my Samsung mobile phone too. I've never used the mobile app to do that though - are you sure it was there in the previous version? This old thread suggests not:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/436216-follow-this-content-option-on-mobile/?tab=comments#comment-10300828

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I'm still not getting updates when a member I follow posts.  I am getting all other updates.

Should be ok now Eric, I had followers blocked temporarily to test something (I saw your comment in the other thread)

@dena

If you didn't already know, the width of our member details to the left of each post appears to have reduced and the number of characters per line has reduced accordingly  - see examples below:

15k.PNG.9b046a68391e86ad255d81d91e5102cf.PNG  15k2.PNG.22d1fd4109fc64f1605ee6d7769dcda9.PNG
                   Pre-Update                              Post-Update

This means that some members titles now get split across two lines - example below for @GreatCaesarsGhost

At first I thought the reduced width was to accommodate the new side bar, but as these two post update examples below show, it is compressed whether the side bar is present or not (as you mentioned earlier, the side bar only appears once a thread has reached a certain number of posts):

gcg1.thumb.PNG.2c6c469338f054e4cba3a16948f20831.PNG

gcg2.thumb.PNG.defb70b2a4a534bf7f6cf17556521c09.PNG

Is it possible to return the width to the previous version, or is this 'skin' hard coded? We have a smaller font and yet less words per data line which feels like a step backwards. 

Also, I find the new bold white font against the dark grey quite stark and uneasy on the eye - Ken illustrates the point nicely I think:

ken.PNG.4b40b016891d2860137169dbb08cdc66.PNG  Too Much Sun GIF by Un si grand soleil - Find & Share on GIPHY

The pre-update font was bigger, yet much less visually aggressive. 

:)

9 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't see a way of doing that either - the "Follow this content" button is missing on my Samsung mobile phone too. I've never used the mobile app to do that though - are you sure it was there in the previous version? This old thread suggests not:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/436216-follow-this-content-option-on-mobile/?tab=comments#comment-10300828

Should be ok now Eric, I had followers blocked temporarily to test something (I saw your comment in the other thread)

It seems to be working now, thank you.