• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Ultimate Universe Appreciation Thread

2 posts in this topic

Is anyone still a fan of the Ultimate universe?

Not a ton of collectible books out of this universe at this point... Ultimate Spider-Man 1... Ultimate FF 21-23... Ultimate Fallout 4 ofc... but lots of really, really strong reading IMO. For my money Ultimate Spider-Man is the best 100 issue run of Spider-Man stories since the 80s, Bagley and Bendis made an incredible pair. I was never interested in the Fantastic Four or the X-Men until I tried their Ultimate lines - X-Men in particular had gotten pretty convoluted in the 616 universe by then - so these retellings got me into those characters and I've read comics for close to 30 years.

The idea here is two-fold... share your collection - there are lots of cool covers in these series - and do you think these books will ever become collectible again? Will these stories be lost to the sands of time? So much great work was done in these series and now many of these books can be picked up for $1-2 per. There's practically a full run of Ultimate X-Men in the dollar bins at my LCS. I'm a big fan of Marvel's picture frame era so I also really enjoy the framing on the covers.

597226906_CwiM8Sr-Imgur.thumb.jpg.0648027db44acc3d2cff4907d12279bf.jpg2053062327_5yywlAX-Imgur.thumb.jpg.afdeccceea575c3c394cb35f2add8f39.jpg

Anyone else like these? What do you think future collectors will think of this line? Will it be forgotten?

Edited by BoogieWoogie

I was a big fan when it started, I stuck with the Spider-Man run pretty much until the end of the Bendis/Bagley partnership, I think I stopped reading just before Miles came into things. (So missed out on that UF #4, doh!)

At the time I loved the original Ultimates run and dipped into X-Men / Fantastic Four for while. Like you I didn't have much exposure to their mainline titles so I really enjoyed the fresh start approach but as I've been recently trying to trim down my collection I reckon I'll offload them soon. There's a lot of good reading there for a kid somewhere to pick up and hopefully enjoy.