• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turnaround time changes and current orders
1 1

71 posts in this topic

While not great, it at least means the market as a whole is starting to accept CGC. Still a crazy good turnaround compared to PSA/BGS. That said, I do wish I would’ve known of the turnaround time change before sending in my newest order :/

Disappointing to see such a drastic jump, you would think it would slowly go up, not all the sudden double. I wonder if the reason is because of starting to accept sports cards in January so they are anticipating a giant increase in total cards received. (although not sure on that since sports cards is supposed to be a different company?)

I'm wondering the same thing as op. The turnaround was 30 days when I sent mine in, which was the entire reason I used this service. Wondering after what date the new time is projected to be 60 or if everything they've received within the last few weeks is 60 as well.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat
typo

I'll say this, they are doing it the right way.  Extending turnaround times for bulk (x2) and economy (x 0.5?) makes sense if that means they can keep their 20 days (or better) for the services above that.  This is good economic tradeoff and shows that they think they can still hit those really quick days for Standard.  

I was wondering if some staff quit or even worse a grader quit which caused the longer turnaround times.  All the grading companies are "head hunting" for graders and workers.  who knows the truth.  I just want my cards graded by any company that is reputable and treat customers as just customers.  no guess work.  i can watch game shows on TV if i want to play games.

29 minutes ago, alohaboyz said:

I was wondering if some staff quit or even worse a grader quit which caused the longer turnaround times.  All the grading companies are "head hunting" for graders and workers.  who knows the truth.  I just want my cards graded by any company that is reputable and treat customers as just customers.  no guess work.  i can watch game shows on TV if i want to play games.

I think they are more likely churning staff at cust service roles and/or data entry/receiving than they are graders.  I imagine this is due to increased submissions, mainly.  They can't increase grading staff instantly by 2x and make sense long term, if at some point the submission flow drops.  They can ease up staffing to meet the levels based on demand over time.  I have no idea what it takes to train a card grader, but I imagine it's something that takes a bit before they are happy with their output.  Good thing (for CGC) is that reducing the demand for the longer services (by increasing the turnaround times) will have a double impact; it'll drive revenue up for those who swing to the higher tier and will decrease the number of bulk submissions for those who don't want to wait the extra time.  Should help level out demand a little and allow them to get to their backlog.  

Grading is not that hard, most hobbyist that submit cards can eye ball a card and grade as consistent.     Centering , edges, corners are basic .  The surface is the element that is most difficult and time consuming.

Maybe if they go to a more like a "moving assembly line" .  train a person to grade only corners, next person grades only edges, next person grades only centering and the experienced graders do surface.

ALSO,  with the limit catalog of only Pokemon and Magic cards.  Training should be much easier than training Sports cards the consist of so may cards and printing media.

5 hours ago, alohaboyz said:

received 10/28 .  STILL SCHEDULED FOR GRADING.... 

recieved 11/04  "grading/quality"  OVER ONE WEEK.....

Many others "scheduled for grading"

fff

Your 11/04 submission is it bulk or Econ? Also when did it change from received to scheduled to grading?

Curious about this too, my package was nearing the 30 day turn around and now it's at 60, not sure if that means I'll have to wait an additional 30+ days or if mine and others that were close to that mark are gonna be waiting only 10 or so business days. I know this is unprecedented, but a little feedback to the customers that have already submissions in would be nice. 

I sent a bulk submission of about 70 cards Priority package on 11/3 from Washington State. About half were with sub grades and half without which put them into separate returning shipments. The package arrived at CGC on 11/5 and was logged as received on 11/6. I just received my graded submission of cards without subgrades yesterday 12/22. The Bulk cards with subgrades are in the "Scheduled for grading" phase. All 30 Graded cards were neatly packaged and the cases are flawless.

I sent away a test Card, that received a grade of 4, so I could try to open it without damaging the case like in the YouTube videos I saw. I tried many different ways of opening it (with my fingers multiple ways and with some plastic tools) but would always begin to hear a cracking sound no matter how I tried to open it. I eventually opened it but there was white spiderweb cracks and clouding that could be seen immediately and became more and more apparent the more I looked.

Last May 25th, I sent 25 cards to PSA (Priority Package) for the Pokemania special. It was logged in as received on July 8th and has been on the "authentication and grading" step 4 for 2 months, where it still remains.

*Just some info on my scenarios.

-Adam

I'd like to know this too, but I'm even earlier in the process with my submission being put to 'received' on the same day as the turnaround time increasing to 60 days.  I clearly created the order with a 30-day turnaround in mind.

i wonder if they CGC took a early Xmas and New Year Vacation and party.   i have 10/28 submissions still "scheduled for grading". 

The value is slipping.   30 day business day was a excellent value.  60 day business When paying upfront is not such a great value anymore.

Other grading companies charge when finished grading.  So even if it take 4-6 months, it does not really impact Cash flow.  Customers are charged when SERVICE RENDERED. 

Edited by alohaboyz

Hi all. I received this unfortunate response in a separate thread from a CGC administrator.

Hello - The turnaround times vary with our submission volume and will be longer in periods of high demand. The estimates posted on our website are reflective of the length of time the submissions currently shipping out took to complete service. They are reflective rather than predictive and they are updated as those times fluctuate with our submission volume. Our submission volume has been extremely high and we are working to complete submissions as quickly and as safely as possible. We apologize for the delays and any inconvenience.

i guess as we get close to the 60 day turnaround it will change to 90 days. and as it gets close to 90 days it changes to 120 days.

Heard this story before.  "nothing is guaranteed"  except when they charge you the second it gets to "recieved".  LOL

I sent in 50 cards before Thanksgiving. Still in the receiving stage. You gotta be kidding me. Its not worth it. 

at the higher tiers with the long wait times... i might as well go with Beckett. 

I am new to Cgc. This was my first submission. I have over 3,000 cards that need grading. I sent in 50 to test the waters. 

good thing I did. 

I live 2 blocks from Psa but its way too long for grading. Looks like Beckett.