• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF #15 CGC 5.0 Restored
3 3

19 posts in this topic

I have been offered an Amazing Fantasy #15 mid-grade with slight moderate restoration (B-2). Restoration includes a married cover, a re-glossed cover, and small amount of color touch on cover. Sorry, but I am not going to provide a picture nor a grade, as I don't want someone to swoop in and buy the book out from under me. I will just say that it looks beautiful in the picture. I also have verified the certification number, and all comments on the slab match up with the CGC certification page.

I was wondering how a person might value a book such as this. I have always used the rule that a restored book is worth 50% of an unrestored book. I don't know if this is the correct valuation, but it's not like there are a set of guidelines that have been published.

If you are willing to share your thoughts, it would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I don't see restored copies going up much in value. The AF 15 in general has been all over the place in mid grades . I'd suggest getting a real copy and spending your money if you have it to spare on other things that have a better chance of financially rewarding you. 

My opinion of course. 

2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I bought this one in April for $16,750.

I can't remember what the seller was asking at the time, but somewhere around $24k.

I used GPA to look at relatively similar sales. Last year an SP 5.0 sold for $25k. An EP 5.0 sold for $14,500. I looked at what similar books were selling for on eBay and Comic Connect.

Considering the book is tight and the edges sharp and the only restoration was a small amount of color touch, I was thrilled with the purchase.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

AF15CGC.jpg

So what you are saying is that you stole this book.  This was a steal at that price.  Seriously... 

I rarely see 'slight ct" as the only qualifier on AF15's because most of those come along with trim jobs that people did in the early 80's and mid 90's.   Then people came in and bought books like this because people 'said' that it was not worth as much with a CT and scuffed the CT right off.

Your AF15 is a gem of a find and was worth way more at the time you bought it.  Seriously... nice find and good job.  

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

So what you are saying is that you stole this book.  This was a steal at that price.  Seriously... 

I rarely see 'slight ct" as the only qualifier on AF15's because most of those come along with trim jobs that people did in the early 80's and mid 90's.   Then people came in and bought books like this because people 'said' that it was not worth as much with a CT and scuffed the CT right off.

Your AF15 is a gem of a find and was worth way more at the time you bought it.  Seriously... nice find and good job.  

Thanks. I'd made a higher offer last year and was turned down. This year I tried again with a lower price and was astonished that they accepted my offer immediately.

Upon further examination it's debatable if it's a C-1 or C-2, but no complaints. 

12 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

To further discussion, what are everyone's thoughts on the new Conserved label?

Collectible? Hold value? Good compromise?

I would value it higher than restored. I know others feel differently,  but my take is,  we are often looking at 80 year old pieces of paper that have been abused by kids and in many cases forgotten about in attics or damp basements. 

Conserving books that would otherwise be further damaged is a good thing. Things like cleaning rusty staples, removing mildew and mold.... 

Here is an example of a book I had conserved by Kenny Sanderson. His work and the process was really amazing.  I don't want to derail Joe's thread, but happy to discuss in more detail. 

20200725_182703.jpg

On 12/20/2020 at 12:45 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have been offered an Amazing Fantasy #15 mid-grade with slight moderate restoration (B-2). Restoration includes a married cover, a re-glossed cover, and small amount of color touch on cover. Sorry, but I am not going to provide a picture nor a grade, as I don't want someone to swoop in and buy the book out from under me. I will just say that it looks beautiful in the picture. I also have verified the certification number, and all comments on the slab match up with the CGC certification page.

I was wondering how a person might value a book such as this. I have always used the rule that a restored book is worth 50% of an unrestored book. I don't know if this is the correct valuation, but it's not like there are a set of guidelines that have been published.

If you are willing to share your thoughts, it would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Stay away from Purple labels!

You seem like someone that is very interested in an original copy. Just get one that has never been compromised

On 12/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I can't remember what the seller was asking at the time, but somewhere around $24k.

I used GPA to look at relatively similar sales. Last year an SP 5.0 sold for $25k. An EP 5.0 sold for $14,500. I looked at what similar books were selling for on eBay and Comic Connect.

Considering the book is tight and the edges sharp and the only restoration was a small amount of color touch, I was thrilled with the purchase.

AF15CGC.jpg

Probably a stupid question, but how much restoration can be removed from a legitimate clean? (By CCS)

On 12/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, SuperBird said:

Married cover is a non-starter for a lot of collectors who would normally consider restored books, especially on a common book such as an AF15. Just my $.02

Agree. If I'm spending that kind of money on a comic it needs to be original parts. 

On 12/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

AF15CGC.jpg

Nice solid looking book, man do I wish CGC would just note the slight resto and make every label blue, imho its just awful how the color of a label effects the price of a book like this. Its pure market manipulation BS that we/I and an entire generation have bought into imho.

Edited by I am not Glenda

1 hour ago, I am not Glenda said:

Nice solid looking book, man do I wish CGC would just note the slight resto and make every label blue, imho its just awful how the color of a label effects the price of a book like this. Its pure market manipulation BS that we/I and an entire generation have bought into imho.

I agree. It's tragic that a purple label with minor color touch gets the same label as one with extensive resto, trimming, married covers, pieces added, etc. 

The Conserved label is a step in the right direction. 

5 hours ago, SkintDoctor said:

Probably a stupid question, but how much restoration can be removed from a legitimate clean? (By CCS)

Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking how much resto can be removed by cleaning? Like, cleaning off the color touch? Oddly, I have seen some minor color touch removed from books where the color touch was done with water soluble paint. So the paint was removed without damaging the paper. But I think that's rare. 

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I agree. It's tragic that a purple label with minor color touch gets the same label as one with extensive resto, trimming, married covers, pieces added, etc. 

The Conserved label is a step in the right direction. 

Just make it easy, everything blue resto or whatever noted on back/front and the buyer makes a decision on the value or purchase based on that & not the color on top of the book.