• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Playboy #3
1 1

17 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

7.0-7.5. Pressing might take it to 8.5-9.0

That sounds like a solid investment.  Would you agree on the prospects of a positive ROI on cleani/press?  Are they still allowing walk-in evaluations and drop offs in Sarasota?

6 minutes ago, Danno561 said:

That sounds like a solid investment.  Would you agree on the prospects of a positive ROI on cleani/press?  Are they still allowing walk-in evaluations and drop offs in Sarasota?

I have no idea about Sarasota. But that's a solid book with no real obvious flaws (tears, pieces missing, rusty staples etc). Page quality seems bright. I would think it would be a good candidate for a clean/press. ROI is a given.

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

I don’t know much about magazine grading criteria, but it can’t hurt to quick press before submit

I think we have a consensus!  I will get a clean/press and submit for grading. I appreciate the input of all that contributed.  Merry Christmas

Problems spine-side and top of back cover. It's a rare "Red Star" version so that's a plus. Don't know how much pressing will help. Think it would grade out in the 6.0 - 7.0 range but have had hundreds of Playboys graded by CGC and the final grade seems to depend on who the grader is, some being more harsh (or lenient) than others & don't forget that for every Playboy they grade, they grade a thousand comic books: ergo, Playboys are not their thing. Hope this helps and good luck.

27 minutes ago, Robert Shauer said:

Problems spine-side and top of back cover. It's a rare "Red Star" version so that's a plus. Don't know how much pressing will help. Think it would grade out in the 6.0 - 7.0 range but have had hundreds of Playboys graded by CGC and the final grade seems to depend on who the grader is, some being more harsh (or lenient) than others & don't forget that for every Playboy they grade, they grade a thousand comic books: ergo, Playboys are not their thing. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.  I had CGC grade #1 a couple years ago and The iconic MM issue graded at 5.0 due to a color breaking crease on the cover.  I suspect this will grade a few notches higher but I understand your point regarding consistency. I will report back in a couple months