• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bagley Blue lines or Blue pencils?

9 posts in this topic

Hey I’m a complete noob.
Looking to buy an Ultimate Spider-Man OA, And I just read with some OA the pencilling is a digital reprint (blue lines?) and the inker inks over it. Are Bagley’s OA’s his own penciling or are they just inked copies?

Thanks

No inked pages of USM by Mark were done via blueline method.  All pages are inks over pencils the old fashioned way.. Certain pages (like less than 1%) are pencil only (so no inks exist) as they were colored straight off pencils. The Ultimate Venom flashback pages for example. And all the covers. (Save one that a not so intelligent collector had inked after the fact.) 

Mark did sometimes do his initial layouts on page with blue pencil, so you might see that.  Although it's pretty rare, especially on his Ultimate Spidey stuff. (Doesnt effect value one way or the other.) 

Welcome aboard glad to have you here:banana:

I’m unaware of Mark doing these pages as you describe. He is represented by Spencer Beck.

http://www.theartistschoice.com/

I highly recommend trying that route to get 100% info and maybe scare up a page!

Mark Bagley also had a Facebook page that may be helpful.

Good luck

let us know when you achieve your goal please!!!

grapeape—-Mike in sunny Southern California 

Edited by grapeape

6 hours ago, Khazano said:

No inked pages of USM by Mark were done via blueline method.  All pages are inks over pencils the old fashioned way.. Certain pages (like less than 1%) are pencil only (so no inks exist) as they were colored straight off pencils. The Ultimate Venom flashback pages for example. And all the covers. (Save one that a not so intelligent collector had inked after the fact.) 

Mark did sometimes do his initial layouts on page with blue pencil, so you might see that.  Although it's pretty rare, especially on his Ultimate Spidey stuff. (Doesnt effect value one way or the other.) 

Just so you understand, sometimes the penciler use a standard black/grey pencil and some time (not as often) they use a blue pencil. If the inker does his work on those "original" pencils, that would be "normal" OA page. 

Now if the penciler does his work, then scans it (usually in blue), then gives the scan to an inker, then the inked page is called an "ink over blue line". In that case, there is usually two pieces of OA. If you have both pages, you really have a "complete" OA page, but if you only have the "ink over blue line", you don't have the original pencils. Note that many dealers will use the phrase "ink over blue pencil" to noted that the pencils are actually in blue, and there is only one page of original art (e.g. not a scan). Lots of discussions about which is more important, but for me I would not buy the "ink over blue line" unless I had the pencil page also. That's just me.

2 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Just so you understand, sometimes the penciler use a standard black/grey pencil and some time (not as often) they use a blue pencil. If the inker does his work on those "original" pencils, that would be "normal" OA page. 

Now if the penciler does his work, then scans it (usually in blue), then gives the scan to an inker, then the inked page is called an "ink over blue line". In that case, there is usually two pieces of OA. If you have both pages, you really have a "complete" OA page, but if you only have the "ink over blue line", you don't have the original pencils. Note that many dealers will use the phrase "ink over blue pencil" to noted that the pencils are actually in blue, and there is only one page of original art (e.g. not a scan). Lots of discussions about which is more important, but for me I would not buy the "ink over blue line" unless I had the pencil page also. That's just me.

Yeah that’s exactly my thinking. So if the bagley had been a blue line scan I would not be interested in it. Since I want the original artists hand pencilling not a print.

It sounds like the Ultimate Spider-Man OA’s are his actually pencilling so I think I’m good?

Because I’m a new poster, I actually posted this thread 3 days ago but had to wait for the moderator 😂  In the meantime I bought my piece already.

http://www.artefumetto.it/en/prodotto/mark-bagley/

Edited by Scohr

27 minutes ago, Scohr said:

It sounds like the Ultimate Spider-Man OA’s are his actually pencilling so I think I’m good?

Yes sir. For what it's worth, I have been collecting USM artwork for 20 years. Literally since issue one.  So trust me when I say, you are good to go. 

Edited by Khazano