• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-men #101 Restored value and opinions

7 posts in this topic

So, 2 years ago for Christmas my wife bought me a raw copy of X-men 101 on ebay as a gift. The guy claimed it was a 9.0-9.2. She messaged him informing him that she didn't know a lot about comics and was going to buy a 9.0 CGC graded copy, but was talked into just getting this raw copy. This Christmas I decided to send it in and get it graded. Unfortunately it is coming back as restored for some light touch up and only graded a 7.5. We're both pretty upset, so was trying to figure out how to get a good idea of it's value range now and what to do from here.

1.) What is the estimated value range of X-men 101 restored 7.5?

2.) How hard are restored comics like this to sell?

3.) If this were you, what would you do with this graded copy?

I'd break it out of the shell, put it in a nice mylar or frame/case and just display as a fun gift next to other posters/comic stuff i own.

Value is low enough that any attempt to sell will just make you mad. 

I'm not sure why people are telling you to take it out of the slab.

I'd value it as is in the $175-200 range. Selling it raw without disclosing the restoration would be scummy, and I'm sure you are better than that. 

Leave it in the slab and be thankful you have a wife willing to enage in your hobby.

5 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'm not sure why people are telling you to take it out of the slab.

I'd value it as is in the $175-200 range. Selling it raw without disclosing the restoration would be scummy, and I'm sure you are better than that. 

Leave it in the slab and be thankful you have a wife willing to enage in your hobby.

Of course don’t deslab to sell raw without disclosing issues, I would deslab just for display.  It’s a nice gift from the wife, but I wouldn’t want a reminder that she got ripped off, which the purple 7.5 label would be, at least to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Might end up selling the slabbed book. It pains me, but it reminds me of the bad experience. Learned a lot from the experience and hope it can inform other new collectors that this can happen. I'm glad my wife puts up with me wanting comics. It was a sour experience, but I will still continue to collect. Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Tony Ellis said:

Thanks for the feedback. Might end up selling the slabbed book. It pains me, but it reminds me of the bad experience. Learned a lot from the experience and hope it can inform other new collectors that this can happen. I'm glad my wife puts up with me wanting comics. It was a sour experience, but I will still continue to collect. Thanks.

Its still a precious gift from your wife, and as such is priceless. I'd keep it.