• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Theory on the Purple-to-Blue Label Change

35 posts in this topic

I was thinking about exactly who would benefit from the upcoming change from Restored Purple to Blue lables, and I came up with the following:

Dealers, Resto Collectors, Speculators who bet Resto books would increase in value, etc.

But then I realized this is all a pipe dream, as changing the label will NOT make Franken-books any more desirable, or otherwise remove the restoration present or the speculator stigma attached to resto books. If people really believe that restored comic values will skyrocket with the change to Blue, then you're dreaming.

When it really comes down to it, CGC is the only party that will benefit.

Totally apart from the resubs, which could be significant if a regrade will be required, we need to get back to the restoration question, and exactly how many headaches it's given CGC. We've seen trimmed books pass by, and many sellers have bragged about slipping resto by the CGC Gods. This has hurt CGC's credibility, especially as the Resto'd Books and the PLOD have gained quite a stigma, and are highly visible.

So what's the obivous solution?

Downplay the aspect of comic book restoration, of course. Say by.... getting rid of that very noticeable Purple Label.. and maybe moving to the beautiful Blue of a Univeral Label. Making restoration less visible also means that less light will shine on CGC, and in the future, maybe get rid of resto notes entirely, moving to a numerical equivalent...

Nah, that could never happen. devil.gif

I agree with what your saying JC, but I don't like the current system either. The scenario you described can work the other way as well. Why should pressed books (which I consider resto) be given the blue label while others with even less work done on them are banished into the 20 to 25% guide value?

If CGC could detect restoration 100% of the time (including pressing), then I'd have no problem with the two color label system. However, with the way the system is set-up now, it's pretty ambiguous why some books get the benefit of the doubt and others don't.

If the only change were the label color, you might have a point (though I think collectors would also benefit because people would have to focus on the extent of the resto instead of just saying "Ohh, it's purple, get it out of the house.").

But the label color is only part of it. You have completely ignored the fact that the new system will also feature a more particularized restoration scale that goes beyond the "slight, moderate, extensive" ambiguity that we have now. That is a big benefit for collectors.

As for your inability to tell the difference between restored and unrestored books, how do you know it's going to be hard? You haven't even seen the proposed new label yet.

When it really comes down to it, CGC is the only party that will benefit.

i can scan the a dealers inventory at a big comicbook show 100 times faster with the blue purple label...it will be a nightmare of extra work for me with with all blue labels! WHY INVENT THE WHEEL AND THAN GO BACK TO PUSHING STONES.

If the blue RESTORED label has two big numerical scores and the word "RESTORED" plastered across the top sticker and main label, you'd have to be blind not to notice the restoration score and notation on the label in a matter of about half a second. If you're that blind, you probably can't read the grade on an old CGC label anyway, so maybe you're in the wrong hobby? poke2.gif

but why take the color label away and put words? why switch to words from the color codes. tell me why its better?

Read my other 50 posts on the subject in other threads. Oh wait, YOU ALREADY DID. foreheadslap.gif

IYou have completely ignored the fact that the new system will also feature a more particularized restoration scale that goes beyond the "slight, moderate, extensive" ambiguity that we have now. That is a big benefit for collectors.

And you have completely ignored that this "new label format" is totally color-independent. The label could be yellow, orange, or purple and the new format could be incorporated.

Due to this, it should have no part in a "blue vs. purple" discussion. foreheadslap.gif

but why take the color label away and put words? why switch to words from the color codes. tell me why its better?

It isn't better, and now it's time for Resto Dealer Shill FFB to tell you to "go back and read my previous replies" (which BTW, do not hold any answer either). 27_laughing.gif

IYou have completely ignored the fact that the new system will also feature a more particularized restoration scale that goes beyond the "slight, moderate, extensive" ambiguity that we have now. That is a big benefit for collectors.

And you have completely ignored that this "new label format" is totally color-independent. The label could be yellow, orange, or purple and the new format could be incorporated.

Due to this, it should have no part in a "blue vs. purple" discussion. foreheadslap.gif

I haven't ignored that at all. My point has always been that the label, whatever color or information it contains, is supposed to alert the buyer to the presence of restoration. My point is also that if CGC can communicate that information clearly to a potential buyer without also having to use a colored label that adds stigma to a book beyond the mere presence of restoration, they should do so. CGC's role is to verify the presence of restoration, not stigmatize restored books even further by labeling them in a special color. Dealers who sell restored books raw don't use purple colored mylars, do they?

Dealers who sell restored books raw don't use purple colored mylars, do they?

Dealers who sell unrestored books raw don't use Blue colored Mylars, do they?

No, but that isn't the point. My point is that beyond the disclosure of the extent of restoration, they don't mark the books with a special colored label or container to set them apart from their other books.

Are you saying you'd have a hard time telling apart a CGC label on an unrestored book (with one visible score) and a CGC label on a restored book (with two visible scores and a big "RESTORED" stamp on it) even at a quick glance?

No, but that isn't the point.

Yes, that is EXACTLY your point.

CGC is not a dealer, and CGC makes its own rules. It is a totally new and different entity and cannot be compared to "how dealers used to act before". CGC uses special color-coded labels to differentiate between Unrestored, Restored and Signature Series comics, and it has worked quite well up until now.

I'd bet that the ONLY people who want to change that likely have a few restored books in storage that they want to sell to unsuspecting saps for double the current market.

I cannot imagine a collector, with no connections or dealer interests, who does not own or want to own a Restored book, thinking this latest brizarro scheme is a good idea.

And yes, I believe *those people* far outnumber you and your Resto Rangers.

No, but that isn't the point.

Yes, that is EXACTLY your point.

CGC is not a dealer, and CGC makes its own rules. It is a totally new and different entity and cannot be compared to "how dealers used to act before". CGC uses special color-coded labels to differentiate between Unrestored, Restored and Signature Series comics, and it has worked quite well up until now.

I'd bet that the ONLY people who want to change that likely have a few restored books in storage that they want to sell to unsuspecting saps for double the current market.

I cannot imagine a collector, with no connections or dealer interests, who does not own or want to own a Restored book, thinking this latest brizarro scheme is a good idea.

And yes, I believe *those people* far outnumber you and your Resto Rangers.

And yet the poll numbers here don't reflect that, do they. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you saying you'd have a hard time telling apart a CGC label on an unrestored book (with one visible score) and a CGC label on a restored book (with two visible scores and a big "RESTORED" stamp on it) even at a quick glance?

While searching EBay, yes, I guarantee I can make better surfing time with the current Purple/Blue format than having to actually read the small print on each and every label.

Just common sense really, as color identification is MUCH faster than text.

While searching EBay, yes, I guarantee I can make better surfing time with the current Purple/Blue format than having to actually read the small print on each and every label.

Just common sense really, as color identification is MUCH faster than text.

Who said the print was going to be small? I think I've said about 3,457,924 times that it would be in BIG letters and that the resto score would be equally big.

Well I am one who does not mind owning a restored book who thinks this is a good idea. And I have no connection to dealers. SO there vare two "no connection to dealrs" camps here.