• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCBS Shortage Cancellations

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone experienced DCBS cancelling some books on their orders due to this reason within their emails: shortage not replaced. I've gotten a reply from their team and they've informed me that the reason is usually because their order was shorted. This sucks because I've had a few books cancelled on me despite me placing advanced orders on those books for the February and March previews. So I struggle to understand why or how DCBS aren't picking these books for me in advance and only to have them cancel on me after like 6 months of waiting. As of this post I still have 20+ books from FEB, MAR and APR previews still waiting to be picked (and hopefully shipped). 

Eg. Still waiting on Batman The Adventure Continues #1 and Dark Nights Death Metal #1 while I've received subsequent issues already.

I'm honestly expecting them to cancel these books on me as well if they haven't picked them already. Outside of this their service has been pretty solid, especially for an international customer like myself.

I've been having problems with books being shorted for the past couple of years.  They are usually Dark Horse hardcovers and trade paperbacks.  Many of these are eventually filled after a delay of 2-3 months or more.  I've had to pick up a Phantom Dailies book and an EC Archives book elsewhere.  Another EC book wasn't filled and I haven't found a decently priced copy yet.  They also cancelled a Dragon Age hardcover.  There were also a few of this year's FCBD comics that they didn't get in and a few other books with small print runs over the past few years.

I currently have 7 Dark Horse books from the last few months that I'm waiting on from them.

Some of their shipments have gone out a week or so later than they should have, but I attribute that to them being understaffed and it doesn't really bother me.  This started before the pandemic.  I've generally been satisfied with their service, except for the shortages that sometimes crop up.  If Diamond is shorting them, then I guess it really isn't their fault.  If it is something else, then I wonder what the issue is.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:15 AM, kaculler said:

I've been having problems with books being shorted for the past couple of years.  They are usually Dark Horse hardcovers and trade paperbacks.  Many of these are eventually filled after a delay of 2-3 months or more.  I've had to pick up a Phantom Dailies book and an EC Archives book elsewhere.  Another EC book wasn't filled and I haven't found a decently priced copy yet.  They also cancelled a Dragon Age hardcover.  There were also a few of this year's FCBD comics that they didn't get in and a few other books with small print runs over the past few years.

I currently have 7 Dark Horse books from the last few months that I'm waiting on from them.

Some of their shipments have gone out a week or so later than they should have, but I attribute that to them being understaffed and it doesn't really bother me.  This started before the pandemic.  I've generally been satisfied with their service, except for the shortages that sometimes crop up.  If Diamond is shorting them, then I guess it really isn't their fault.  If it is something else, then I wonder what the issue is.

Glad to know another person have had experiences like this. I can understand if Diamond is shorting them and they just fill orders based on who completed their preview orders first (I'm usually slow so it's my fault). But if it's for another reason, like you said, I'd be curious as to see what the problem is. Are you usually prompt with ordering as soon as previews become available on their site, and did you ever bother to email them to ask?

I monthly order a few comic books from DCBS. Very rarely do I order trade paperbacks and have not ordered a limited variant in approximately 15 years. Although, like clockwork, I place my order on the first day of the "current preorder month" DCBS still cancels some comic books. Although I have not asked about the reason for cancellation in a great many years, when I did inquire it was that certain issues were shorted, thus allocated, damaged with no replacement copies available, DCBS' order was shorted, and perhaps some other reasons.

2 hours ago, tomborage said:

Glad to know another person have had experiences like this. I can understand if Diamond is shorting them and they just fill orders based on who completed their preview orders first (I'm usually slow so it's my fault). But if it's for another reason, like you said, I'd be curious as to see what the problem is. Are you usually prompt with ordering as soon as previews become available on their site, and did you ever bother to email them to ask?

I usually place my order around the middle of the month.  I email them with a list of shortages whenever there are any.  They used to reply pretty quickly, but now it is often a week or two before they get back to me.  The reason is almost always that Diamond shorted them.