• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Avengers 196 (copy 1) - GRADE IS IN!
3 3

10 posts in this topic

So, I have recently reacquired my childhood/teenage years comic book collection and I've been slowly going through it to see what there is to see.  What I mainly see is a lot of "I really should have taken better care of this..." but, ah well.  Still, there are a lot of memories here and maybe some books that still have some value.  I'm going to try posting some of these over the next few days.  Main questions are (1) Strictly from a "value" perspective, are any of them worth getting CGC graded; and (2) could they be improved with a pressing and/or cleaning?  

I have a twofer today.  My two copies of Avengers 196, both with significant (but different!) defects.  This one I think is the somewhat nicer one.  Has maybe a 1/8" - 1/4" tear in the top left corner and some assorted creasing.  Also some kind of ink transfer/staining/mold to the first and last pages?

Thanks for looking!

(I don't know why some of these pictures are being duplicated.  I didn't upload more than one image.  Can't figure out how to fix it though)

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

Edited by Axelrod

Thanks for the grades!

I don't suppose anyone has an opinion on whether this particular comic could be improved with a pressing and/or cleaning of some type?  I imagine those black smudges on the front and back pages can't be fixed.

Well, after more than a year, I finally bit the bullet and submitted my first batch of books to CGC. 

The thing that finally tipped me over the edge - the final George Perez signing.  He was always my favorite artist of my favorite series.  

And then it was cancelled, sadly. 

And I had the choice to have everything sent back, or just go ahead and do it anyway.  And I decided, what the heck.  

Some of the books I sent in were ones that almost certainly would not have been worth doing (from a purely financial standpoint) without getting that Perez sig., but, I still am glad to have had the experience.  And they certainly do look nice.  

This one I kind of feel might have gotten a "we're very sorry the signing was cancelled" bump.  Pleasantly surprised at the grade it got.  

IMG_0733.JPG