• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feeling mistreated by CGC process

24 posts in this topic

Some things I notice from a lot of the complaints that do come up about CGC is from "newer" submitters. Maybe the submission process is not clear and maybe there should be more done from CGC's end on this. As far as I know, they seem to be trying but I am sure they would like feedback on the process. It would also be interesting to hear their side of the story. 

As for the delays, no it is not normally half a year to wait for books BUT you sent books in during a time where EVERYONE was sending books in. They weren't prepared to handle that volume, whether they admit that or not. 

My question to the OP would be whether you took time to review the help areas and instructions areas on the site before submitting? If yes, then CGC could probably do a better job explaining their submission process.

If your answer is you just signed up, clicked around and tried to do it with little or no understanding, well I don't have much sympathy. If I want to fix a leaky pipe, I am not going to dive in headfirst without at least consulting a few videos, maybe talking to some people (dads and uncles and such...the seasoned vets, you know?). Otherwise I would get an expert (aka a dealer) to do it. Technically, anyone can submit to CGC. Just like technically, anyone can replace a leaky pipe. Like most things, it comes with some experience and reading first. So if mailing and online navigation of a website, reading instructions and doing a bit of research is not your strong suit well, maybe that is something that needs practice. 

Edited by comicginger1789

17 minutes ago, Satan Stole My Lunch Money said:

Actually with pressing 6 months sounds pretty good. Economy pressing is at 86 business days and Economy slabbing is at 83 business days so 169 business days total. Six months is roughly 180 calendar days. 4 weekends a month so subtract 8 from each month for approx 22 business days per month. So 6 months would be approx. 132 business days, much less than the posted 169 business days.

Seems to me that anyway in this situation that gets their books back in 6 calendar months should be happy as hell!

Yeah for me the timeline is not a problem. I am guessing the OP might have little understanding of CGC. Heck, I thought they had close to 100 graders when in reality it is like 20 maybe? Think about how many of us submitted books all throughout this quarantine. That's a lot.

Now, maybe some people think that is dumb. Well if you have 20 graders that you know and trust and believe are upholding the grades that books should be assigned, and they get it "right" 98% of the time, that is fantastic (I always allow for 2% error because nobody is perfect every, hence why we see other errors come out of CGC).

Now, suppose CGC upped their employees to 1000 graders....yowza. Imagine how fast you would have books back! Maybe within a week! But from a company perspective, do you know how hard it is to get 1000 people to follow the rules? You would get fast service, but you can be darn sure you would see a HUGE increase in grading discrepencies. Thus, the integrity of grading goes down the tubes. CGC has made the choice that speed is of their lowest concern. They will take their time to try to do it right. Doesn't mean there aren't areas they can still improve upon, it just explains part of the waiting for your books part. 

Edited by comicginger1789

In fairness to the OP, I find cgcs and ccs's process very confusing.  I haven't submitted on my own for many years because I had a difficult time figuring everything out. 

Last year I used my old comic shop for submitting. That has its drawbacks to. 

As far as TAT, I think 6 months for economy with pressing is fairly common. All of the signature events this year seemed to slow them down. I submitted 3 books in July I just got back the other day.