• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #100

5 posts in this topic

Hello - I'm trying to ID / value this Amazing Spider-Man book. It doesn't have the price on it, but it has a " 1/- " where the price should be. See scan below. Any help with info about this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.

img007.jpg

It is a copy from the UK. The 1/- symbol is similar to seeing a small "p" or "d" next to number for the price. Now, I am farrr from a currency expert to know what these symbols actually mean monetarily, but most often they are all lumped together and referred to in the hobby as "pence" copies, which basically means they were the US versions that were distributed overseas.

In terms of value, depends on who you ask. I have no doubt they are rarer but majority of collectors want the 15c there, not the UK pricing. So in terms of value, a lot of the time these are worth less than their US copies. Now, that doesn't mean there isn't a UK collector (or US one) who wants one and will shell out a bit more for it but the condition on this copy looks low (staining, foxing) which means it will probably fetch lower than what a raw copy in the 4.0-4.5 range would sell for. 

For comparison, a pence copy of issue #90 recently sold for $95USD in what the seller called VF condition

You can get a VF condition of this book in the US version for roughly the same amount.

A copy of ASM #94 with the same pricing as yours in VG condition, sold for around $40. A regular US copy can be had for around $30-35. So you can see that there is some demand for these price variants. They don't come up often and you can usually find someone looking for them. Might take some time to sell, especially if you price it out of the market. The guy collecting them might be fine paying $10-20 or so more (again, depending on the issue) to have a pence copy. But are they willing to spend double a US version or triple? That I do not know. 

Personally (and I know the book is essentially the same except for that price on the cover), if someone said I could have your copy for $X or a US copy for X$, I take the US. And to be honest, I don't even look at the pence copy, even if discounted. Just doesn't fit what I collect. This is one guy's opinion and an opinion that seems to be evolving as more collectors seek out price variants. It is a weird market with ups and downs. When in doubt, price a little higher and be open to offers. You can't go wrong selling with that mentality. And if no one bites for a long while, you are priced too high OR nobody is really looking for what you are selling. 

Edited by comicginger1789

4 hours ago, Satan Stole My Lunch Money said:

Is that book considered a reprint? Or a second print?

I think the conventional belief is these were printed at the same time as the “regular” cents copies, but with the plate switched to reflect pence/U.K. price denominations.

Edited by steveinthecity
Clarity.