• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping Rant

9 posts in this topic

So there's this page that I like on someone's website for 65.00. I email them asking about shipping to me in Canada and they replied saying they charge a flat fee of 18.00 for shipping. frown.gif

I just received a page from the US and it says 5.70 US. I just mailed 6 pages to someone in the US and it cost me 8.95 Canadian.

I can't see how these people charge so much for shipping a piece of paper. There's no way I am paying a 1/3 of the price of this page just for shipping. Not only that, there's a guy on ebay that charges 30.00 to ship one page to Canada. I don't know how many pages he sells to us but I bet it isn't many.

sign-rantpost.gif

So there's this page that I like on someone's website for 65.00. I email them asking about shipping to me in Canada and they replied saying they charge a flat fee of 18.00 for shipping. frown.gif

That's because people can charge whatever they like for shipping and use justifications like "I need to pay the electric bill" or "I have three daughters" in college of whatever.

I'm not saying that charge is necessarily too high, but I know for a fact that some people will charge whatever they think they can get. Justified or not.

I know what you mean about UK shipping - you pay through the nose and then get a duty charge (on art) most of the time frown.gif

Lucky customs cannot touch our comics smile.gif

I've only bought OA from Europe and it has never been *that* expensive to get hit yet....i'd totally forgotten i'd be liable for customs charges for any substantually priced pieces 893whatthe.gif

Better take that into consideration with my current watch list!!

that is simply fleecing....when someone charges like that, then hides behind "shipping and handling" , then the package arrives in a priority box (which is free from post office) and it states it cost 4.30 to ship - basically, these people are no better than going into a gas station and shoving a gun into a clerk's face and robbing them.....not as violent, but still wrong.

I was just thinking that the high costs of shipping actually might hurt the bottom line on the final auction price.

For example there's a page on ebay now that I'm interested in but noticed the seller wants 25.00 to ship it to Canada. (He's a fellow comicart-l member as well). I would've normally bid on this piece and if I won, the seller would've received a higher final price and had I not won, the seller still realizes a higher final price as I would've pushed up other bidders. Without my bidding he will realize a lower final selling price (I hope).

Realizing this makes me feel a little better about sellers ripping off buyers with shipping. Only a little.