• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY Original Art :)

24 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd post some computer work I've done lately, just learned Illustrator so everything you see here includes my first vector work. Superman is my first, Batman is my second, Superman Jolt is my third. Hopefully I'll post more soon!

Little background about myself: Started doing graphic design at..13, 14? Basically 2 years ago or so. I'm a SELF-employed graphic designer, instead of working at a McDonalds I sit at home and make pictures for companies, etc. haha. I mostly do web templates and logos, but whatever the client wants I can usually do. I'm avid in Photoshop and beginner in Illustrator (as you can see from the below pics :S!)

Quickie Wallpaper:

Option 1: http://static.flickr.com/25/42109703_7f3881b470_o.jpg

Option 2: http://static.flickr.com/26/42109702_6d471969e1_o.jpg

Superman Vector - WORK IN PROGRESS. *Ignore the errors, they WILL be fixed wink.gif*

42109704_fd2d6bf873_o.jpg

Superman JOLT Vector - 4 different versions. This actually may not be complete, I was thinking of spending quite a while doing a certain effect..who knows now!

42379119_415ecb6234_o.jpg42422568_d5e70afc29_o.jpg

42435027_eed43864b8_o.jpg42435029_0c9e6fa3d3_o.jpg

Oh! Also, I'm getting some of my designs turned into decals, so if you guys come across any nice Superman or Batman pictures that you feel could be vectored nice and make..well, a nice decal, feel free to post and I can show you them (if I like the pic) in actual decal form!

Thanks!

Kyle

three things, mr_long_name:

first: learn layers. it's a simple enough premise, but vitally important.

second: the "pen" tool is your friend. get a stylus, while you're at it

third: the Illustrator help files are utter poo in a box.

sincerely,

Sal

ten year user of Illo

hey dj - those are quite excellent, especially for a first effort. congrats and keep it up

DJ, Nice art.

I've messed around with the programs but can't get the hang of it. Too bad your not closer, I'd love to get some classes. Did you learn by trial and error or do you hae some books/sites you can reccomend?

Mike

Well, I tought myself both applications, so unfortunately I don't know what to tell you!

As for the last post, yes - the pen tool is probably the greatest tool you have. I just learned it and have discovered it's capabilities, it's fantastic. Also, yes, a stylus is good - currently I am using the Wacom Graphire 3 graphics tablet <Great stuff!

And KrazyKat, I guess I don't have any "grails", as the only original art I currently own is..well, my own!

And thanks for the kind words guys, hopefully I can get some more vectors done on the weekend. I should take a pic of myself with my digicam and vector it, that would be nice..:)

DJ, Nice art.

I've messed around with the programs but can't get the hang of it. Too bad your not closer, I'd love to get some classes. Did you learn by trial and error or do you hae some books/sites you can reccomend?

Mike

Well, I tought myself both applications, so unfortunately I don't know what to tell you!

As for the last post, yes - the pen tool is probably the greatest tool you have. I just learned it and have discovered it's capabilities, it's fantastic. Also, yes, a stylus is good - currently I am using the Wacom Graphire 3 graphics tablet <Great stuff!

And KrazyKat, I guess I don't have any "grails", as the only original art I currently own is..well, my own!

And thanks for the kind words guys, hopefully I can get some more vectors done on the weekend. I should take a pic of myself with my digicam and vector it, that would be nice..:)

djspues,

But,..you must have a grail,..EVERYONE has a grail,..perhaps you do not understand the term.

I refuse to believe GenY.2 is immune.

So let me understand,..do you collect comics or art ?

KK

djspues,

But,..you must have a grail,..EVERYONE has a grail,..perhaps you do not understand the term.

KK

Comics. But I'm getting a piece of original art from Jeremy Sorell which proceeds go to Hurricane Katrina. Commission of Superman controlled by Max Lord punching out Batman smile.gif $50 smile.gif

And thanks crisco

djspues,

KK

Comics. But I'm getting a piece of original art from Jeremy Sorell which proceeds go to Hurricane Katrina. Commission of Superman controlled by Max Lord punching out Batman smile.gif $50 smile.gif

And thanks crisco

Well comics are as a good away as any to get into art. But considering you are so young, Id stress that you try to acquire some OA. 10 years from now you'll be kicking yourself saying,.."HEY,...I REMEMBER WHEN THAT ASM 100 COVER WENT FOR ONLY 50K,...NOW ITS 500K."

Comics are a funny animal. Very difficult market nowadays. Especially with CGC. Upside is imho limited to very few items.

KK

djsupes:

Nice work. I wish I had pursued graphic design instead of becoming a lawyer. I'd be a lot happier now probably. 27_laughing.gif.

At any rate, you have real talent, and pursue what you are passionate about (but of course, you need to pay the bills too).

Buy things that interest you. At your age, I was still a comic collector unconcerned about high grade or whatever, just about what books were cool and of interest to me. If you like OA that's fine, get a piece or two that you like... don't worry if the ASM 100 cover is going to be worth $50k or $500k. That kind of money spent on comic book art probably isn't wise anyway, unless you have so much you don't know what to do with it all.

Great art djsupes! Looks like you've a great career ahead of you laugh.gif

smile.gif Thanks!

And for original art, I probably won't collect much at all. It costs so much and I only HAVE so much.. I don't worry about high-grade that much either, I only purchase things that interest me. This is why I only read DC, Marvel does NOT interest me.

djspues,

KK

And thanks crisco

Well comics are as a good away as any to get into art. But considering you are so young, Id stress that you try to acquire some OA. 10 years from now you'll be kicking yourself saying,.."HEY,...I REMEMBER WHEN THAT ASM 100 COVER WENT FOR ONLY 50K,...NOW ITS 500K."

Comics are a funny animal. Very difficult market nowadays. Especially with CGC. Upside is imho limited to very few items.

KK

Look, I'm going out of my way not to get into anything with you, but I think you should watch it when spewing this to a kid. Your viewpoint is nothing more than that, just a viewpoint. I disagree with you, you disagree with me. Before encouraging the kid to blow all his hard earned dollars on OA, THINK!!! He's likely to go out and buy some modern dreck that in 10 years isn't worth a bean. MAYBE the OA to ASM will quadruple in price in 10 years, but I doubt that DJ has 50K to blow on a premium piece now.

DJSUPES,

You think $2500 for the piece is a fair deal ?

http://www.kirbyart.com/art.html#c

cardysuperboy187cvr.jpg

27_laughing.gif well I don't know why you'd be asking me since I know next to nothing about OA, but I wouldn't buy it - even if I had the money you had. It's unpublished, and I just don't like it at all.

But then again, we have very different tastes. I like modern work, you seem to like the old stuff :P So if you do like it, go for it.