• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney collectible encyclopedia set and children’s books / record sets feedback request.

8 posts in this topic

Hello Gang,

Posting some photos for your pleasure and hopefully thoughts on these items found in a chest that my family had apparently been saving for just forever. All Disney , all awesome and from the mid to late ‘70’s.

22E34B3A-D8F6-4C48-8BE3-EB0B33F342B7.jpeg

165810D1-DBCD-4DCE-B52D-DDCA1972604F.jpeg

9B8E86C2-EEBA-4A52-ACB2-1E8BB93138C0.jpeg

BBBB698E-A15B-48C9-83FC-3F6711B6FC6E.jpeg

502D2B38-6E26-4B94-88FD-DAC60B32E9A8.jpeg

F22B6910-0604-45C4-8DB0-3B741048F099.jpeg

34E34193-73C3-4E9A-B288-2A4561ED5B7E.jpeg

FEA5BF50-79EF-497F-B5D2-7DFE9C903EA6.jpeg

4F9408B2-6664-403A-96BC-CCC0BE3910F9.jpeg

6AEF970D-BAA3-44B1-AE15-F9388477F510.jpeg

Edited by Bowenfire

Well, I’m not super knowledgeable on these but I’ll toss out the little bit that I (think I) know. 

First, the two Planet of the Apes book-and-record sets are not Disney releases, and they are considered comic books. They are listed in the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide as Power Record Comics.  I’ve been trying to do my own observational research on these. To the best of my knowledge, since they have the $1.29 price and if the inside covers of those are blank than those would be the first issue....though neither Overstreet nor CGC make that distinction.  Those appear to be in decent shape, and they don’t have the corners remainder clipped so that’s a big plus. But CGC is absolutely brutal when grading these (to give you some idea, a CGC Captain America Power Record is up on ComicLink right now, a 6.5...and THAT’S the highest graded copy on the census for that book)

The other book-and-record sets were released by Buena Vista Records, which is a division of Disney, so even if it’s not a Disney property (they did one for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Raiders of the Lost Ark, for example) I guess those could still technically be considered Disney items. I’m sure some of those were issued more than once, but I don’t collect them so I’m not sure how to determine if they are a first issue or not. 

The hardcover story books...and most likely the encyclopedias as well...were part of a Disney book club program. My mom got me those when I was little, you got a plastic book holder with your first delivery. As such, these were probably reissued multiple times. Again, I don’t know exactly how to identify first printings/first editions on these, but start by looking at what’s on the copyright page and then try looking them up and comparing them to listings on Abebooks.com. Not every seller on that site knows what they’re doing, so try and look at listings from sellers who are ABAA members. When you figure out how to identify a 1st/1st for one, that will probably be true for all of them. 

Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Still, it’s a cool find, brought back some good memories for me.