• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four on Ebay

45 posts in this topic

There is a Fantastic four on ebay right now that has been restored and is an apparent vf. The restoration is moderate. Here is the listing number (6560912416). The listing shows the restoration notes. I emailed the seller and stated the book was in "good" condition and the chips replaced were less than 1 sq cm. I am currently looking for a "nice" FF 1 in good 2.0-3.5 condition however I am considering this piece. I have never bought a restored book. Is there any opinions on this book buy or not or wait for a non-restored copy to show up in good condition. I am on the fence about this and need some advice. tongue.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

There is a Fantastic four on ebay right now that has been restored and is an apparent vf. The restoration is moderate. Here is the listing number (6560912416). The listing shows the restoration notes. I emailed the seller and stated the book was in "good" condition and the chips replaced were less than 1 sq cm. I am currently looking for a "nice" FF 1 in good 2.0-3.5 condition however I am considering this piece. I have never bought a restored book. Is there any opinions on this book buy or not or wait for a non-restored copy to show up in good condition. I am on the fence about this and need some advice. tongue.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

That book is probably not apparent VF. You can get an apparent 8.0 Extensive Professional already slabbed for just a couple hundred bucks more than what this guy is asking. I'd buy a slabbed copy rather than a raw copy unless you were able to look at the book in person and unless you were familiar with how CGC grades restored books.

932281-FF1respaper.jpg

932276-FF1res.jpg

932278-FF1backres.jpg

Looks like a nice book.

Pretty weak scans for a $1000+ comic though.

Ask for bigger scans. gossip.gif

I don't like this:

Condition: VF with moderate restoration and off-white to tan pages

Value Range: GD $875, VG $1750, FN $2625, VF $9200, VF/NM $22,100, NM $3000

Big name comic stores generally sell a VG restored Fantastic Four 1 for $3000. Ours is in VF!

I don't know any big name comic dealers who ask almost 2X book for restored VGs of FF 1. screwy.gif

Not counting Mile High Chuck who asks 5- 10x book for everything. foreheadslap.gif

932281-FF1respaper.jpg.209a6ca9b2e1137c584ef19462b91a3b.jpg

I am currently looking for a "nice" FF 1 in good 2.0-3.5 condition however I am considering this piece. I have never bought a restored book. Is there any opinions on this book buy or not or wait for a non-restored copy to show up in good condition. I am on the fence about this and need some advice. tongue.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

As long as the resto is pro and done well, I'd rather have a restored book like this than an unrestored 2.0 - 3.5.

I have a few restored books with a SLIGHT level of resto. In my view, they are 99% original parts and nothing to be ashamed of. Most of the people here that routinely denegrate restored "franken" books wouldn't even know books with slight resto are restored unless CGC told them it was.

Moderate resto I would consider on a case by case basis. I would avoid books with extensive restoration unless it was an otherwise very valuable book that I could get dirt cheap.

Regarding this book in particular, I would reserve judgement until I had a much better scan. A bigger scan would let you better evaluate the quality of the work on this book and its true apparent grade. That said, I think $1500 isn't a bad price if the book has pro moderate resto and truly appears to be a VF.

Good luck!

Pretty weak scans for a $1000+ comic though.

Ask for bigger scans. gossip.gif

I don't like this:

I agree. He has large size scans for all his other comics except this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I suspect the resto may be more extensive than he's letting on or it's not done particularly well.

There appears to be color matching problems in the gray area below the creature's mouth as well as on the top right corner. To me, that says areas of fairly heavy impainting (color touch), or even a fill / piece replacement.

That said, this could just be problems with the colors in the scan.

Get a bigger scan to make an informed judgement.

Got the larger scans of the book. I do'nt plan on bidding on this auction. Seller seems honest enough book looks over graded imagine that on EBay. One question though are you suppose to see where the chips are replaced there's on at Mr fantastics arm can also be seen in smaller photo. One in lower left corner and another at the balloon for Mr Fantastic. Very easily seen. I will try to post the larger scans later when I get home from work.

Here is the larger scan you can see the white 'lines' where the chips were replaced by mister fantastic and the lower left corner. The black in some of the words don't seem to match some darker than others looks like upper left corner was replaced too.

934686-FantasticFour1.JPG.580fb50cd02af31a470d3fdc2d300aab.JPG

Dang! Looks Like I might be a victim of a scam on EBAY. The seller sure was quick to respond to my questions while the auction was going. But soon as I paid and he got his money.....zip....nothing. No emails. I live in Arizona he is out of California. 12 days no book no responses to my emails. I won auctions 5 days after his and already recieved the items. I guess I will give it another couple of days and start the process of getting my money back . confused-smiley-013.giftonofbricks.giffrown.gif

Dang! Looks Like I might be a victim of a scam on EBAY. The seller sure was quick to respond to my questions while the auction was going. But soon as I paid and he got his money.....zip....nothing. No emails. I live in Arizona he is out of California. 12 days no book no responses to my emails. I won auctions 5 days after his and already recieved the items. I guess I will give it another couple of days and start the process of getting my money back . confused-smiley-013.giftonofbricks.giffrown.gif

The scamming A-holes are doing too much damage to comics. Christo_pull_hair.gifsumo.gif

Hope it works out, friend. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I fear the worst.

I'd never buy a book worth much more than $100 unless it was in person (where I can examine it) or from someone I trust.

Yeah I think it may be a lost cause as well. It was strange he emailed me promptly with answers to my questions before I paid. But as soon as I asked for payment comfirmation and when he was going to ship the books he quit emailing I sent 4 emails in the past 12 days asking for a response and nothing. I will give it until Monday then go after him and my money. His feedback was all positives so I figured he was trustworthy, maybe his account was "hijacked" Live and learn.