• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding CGC vs CBCS
1 1

22 posts in this topic

From my experience sending a bunch of books to both, their grading standards are equal.

I prefer the look and size of CBCS holder, I prefer the "extra" (or more thorough)  details on the CBCS labels but I prefer the look of the CGC label. . .

I personally believe VSP is a joke, far too much variation in any given artists signature to "gaurantee" authenticity. Witnessed sigs are the only way to go.

I prefer CBCS customer service over CGC. Friendliness, responsiveness, etc...

Ultimately CGC gets the majority of my submissions because of their "notoriety" only. When I flip, CGC brings in higher dollars, every time. I've even sold 9.6 CGC's for more than the same book in CBCS 9.8. So for my personal collection it's also CGC, until the value equalizes. If that happens I'd switch to CBCS solely.

I prefer the CGC Label. I also like the fact that CGC has friendly people to answer your question when you call.  I have to email CBCS.  I believe the market, as a whole, prefers CGC; otherwise you wouldn't see a difference in pricing on Go Collect between the two.

I think the real question is...

Which company grades the most comics annually and who started first?  CGC would probably win that one; though I haven't seen the figures.

Get that data and you have your answer.  Whosoever grades more comics and has seen more comics has the most experience and would be proven as the better company. 

Bottom line: You can trust both companies to grade your comic accurately.  The graders are accurate at both companies.

A CGC slab is more valuable because more buyers prefer them.