• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALEX ROSS,...Great Artist,...or flavour of the past ?

25 posts in this topic

Hi Krazy,

Certainly when he first came on the scene in the early 90s his art was refreshing and innovative. I think his best work still is the early stuff, including Marvels, Kingdom Come and the Superman and then Batman one-shots. Some of his poster work is mighty impressive as well. From there on to the present, though, I think his work has suffered from over-exposure and an abundance. That early stuff, however, is still rare and coveted. I'd be interested in a nice page from Kingdom Come or Batman: War on Crime, if one were to come along.

Best,

Jusko is better than he is among others bisley,frazetta ect..

To see Jusko mentioned as Ross' superior, and also in the same sentence as Frazetta, pains me. Jusko is a completely conventional journeyman artist. There is nothing innovative or inspirational about his work. He is Salieri. In 10-20 years, no one will remember Jusko, but Ross' work, particularly the early stuff, will continue to evoke awe and admiration.

Oh, I don't know about that. I'd say the absolute best rendering of the Joker, including both character personality and look, was his depiction in Moore/Bolland's The Killing Joke from 1988. Perfect!

The Ross Harley Quinn and Joker image, while nice, looks more like Jack Nicholson in The Shining, or (worse) a deranged Alex Ross himself! Actually, it's well-known that Ross uses his own pictures of himself during his creative process.

To see Jusko mentioned as Ross' superior, and also in the same sentence as Frazetta, pains me. Jusko is a completely conventional journeyman artist. There is nothing innovative or inspirational about his work. He is Salieri. In 10-20 years, no one will remember Jusko, but Ross' work, particularly the early stuff, will continue to evoke awe and admiration.

There's that word again. smirk.gif

Jusko is better than he is among others bisley,frazetta ect..

Jusko's style is alot more life like than Ross's. Ross has never wowed me.I know frazetta is pretty much in a class all his own but I was just naming off names that I think are better than Ross.

Not to say those guys suck, but I'll take Ross over Jusko and Bisley.

Ross's originals are just breathtaking. But he's too expensive these days. blush.gif

Since we're talking painters, one painter I find underated is John Bolton.

His figures sometimes look stiff and posed, but his talent is unquestionable. His understanding of light and color is unmatched by any of todays artists. He's the cream of the current crop.

Ross does alot of group shots,I can only take so much of them standing around with shadows for faces.Ross also uses lot of real people in his paintings,like "stand over there near this dim light and i'll paint you into superman" Nothing wrong with using referance of course but alex ross's stuff just looks very stale to me.

Oh, I don't know about that. I'd say the absolute best rendering of the Joker, including both character personality and look, was his depiction in Moore/Bolland's The Killing Joke from 1988. Perfect!

The Ross Harley Quinn and Joker image, while nice, looks more like Jack Nicholson in The Shining, or (worse) a deranged Alex Ross himself! Actually, it's well-known that Ross uses his own pictures of himself during his creative process.

Whatever his inspiration, I have always preferred the debonair, slightly sadistic version of the Joker to the capering, foolish whackjob he is generally portrayed as. In the end, it all comes down to preference. confused-smiley-013.gif