• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO Max's HARRY POTTER show (2022?)

3 posts in this topic

A “Harry Potter” series is in very early development at HBO Max, Variety has learned from sources.

Rumors that a show set within the wizarding world have persisted for some time. Now it seems those plans are moving ahead, though no writers or talent are currently attached to the project. There is no word yet on what the focus of the show would be or what part of the “Harry Potter” timeline it would focus on should it move ahead.

Variety has reached out to HBO Max and Warner Bros. for comment and will update should they respond.

The “Harry Potter” book series is one of the most popular of all time, with the seven books in the series having sold over 500 million copies worldwide. They were then adapted into a hit eight-film franchise, which has grossed nearly $8 billion worldwide. There have also been two films to date in the prequel spinoff “Fantastic Beasts” film series, with the third of five planned films due out in 2022.

I am extremely torn. The original films are deeply, deeply important to me, and I'm not sure I want to see a new version. On the other hand, there's so much left out from the books that might be incorporated into a television show, and that I would love to see on screen. But nobody will be better then the original three kids, or Alan Rickman, or Maggie Smith, or Robbie Coltrane...