• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.4 JLA #1 on Heritage

50 posts in this topic

btw......I took a close look at the two LARGE scans on Heritage and all I can say is for some reason or other, there was a shift in the relation of the cover to the pages.....your original 9.2 on the left Tim, and the 9.4 on the right.... I have no opinion at this point as to what caused this.

jlas.jpg

Hmmm, looking at it again, I think your right on the staples shifting the pages overhanging to the bottom. The more I look the more it does appear to be the same book in those scans. If the first set were less pixelated . . . Oh well, the slight color loss on the LRC is pretty convincing regardless.

That's got to be the worst cover of any SA premiere ish. confused-smiley-013.gif

Classic DC cover. Good art ruined by a ridiculous "action" scene and an even more ridiculous thought bubble. It sure did take DC a long time to figure out why they couldn't keep up with Marvel back in those days.

Since it predates FF1 by about a year, why exactly would they bother trying? "I know, let's emulate that failing comic book company that changes it's name every 3 months and publishes dopey monster and romance books". screwy.gif

That's got to be the worst cover of any SA premiere ish. confused-smiley-013.gif

Classic DC cover. Good art ruined by a ridiculous "action" scene and an even more ridiculous thought bubble. It sure did take DC a long time to figure out why they couldn't keep up with Marvel back in those days.

Since it predates FF1 by about a year, why exactly would they bother trying? "I know, let's emulate that failing comic book company that changes it's name every 3 months and publishes dopey monster and romance books". screwy.gif

Easy cowboy. It still took DC years to figure out that their formula sucked arse. Might as well have read monster comics as it was more ingaging than drivel DC called plots back then. Is the Superhound making a comeback? How about Jimmy Olsen, etc, etc.

Thanks Brad, the attention to detail of members such as yourselves is vastly superior to mine.

I had deleted my own scan of the book (in the 9.2 slab), but fortunately a fellow collector had kept a copy in his files and sent to me. It's not high resolution like the Heritage scans, so don't know what you'll be able to learn from it, but I put it up here so more information is available.

JLA_1_bottom.jpg

It's interesting how different scans of the same book can come out so differently. Also, my own scan confirmed my memory that there was no upper spine stress (which appears in the Heritage 9.2 scan), which makes sense because I would never have thought so highly of my copy if there was a big obvious white spine stress. It appears the white mark in Heritage's 9.2 scan is some kind of scratch on the slab which looks like a spine stress because the book has shifted to the left in Heritage's 9.2 scan, so its disappearance in the 9.4 scan is not suspicious. I wonder if the shifting results in some of the differences noted by Brad. Technically, the angle of the scanner would be a little different then.

confused.gif I sold it on Heritage in April 2004. The Heritage auction of the 9.2 copy was MY sale.

I don't think I've seen it for sale since I sold it, until it reappeared in this 9.4 slab.

But... did anyone keep a copy of the scan of the 9.4 JLA #1 that was sold on Comiclink last year together with the 9.4 Flash #105? If anyone has a copy of that Flash scan, I'd like to see that too.

If it wasnt pressed, then what happened to the crease right above the staple and to the left of the fourth star in the title?

Looks like they are gone or less noticable to me.

A) Pressing wouldn't remove a crease like that.

B) It's not a crease, it's a scuff on the CGC case.

You could get the graders notes for both subs - see if on the first time it went

9.2, 9.2, 9.4

and if on the second time it went

9.2. 9.4, 9.4

it would only take one person going up to make it a 9.4. We talk about "resub" candidates all the time, why is this such a huge deal? Tim says it was a gorgeous copy, maybe it just went up? foreheadslap.gif

I thought it only took the finalizer to make it a 9.4, even if the others gave it a 9.2.

confused.gif I sold it on Heritage in April 2004. The Heritage auction of the 9.2 copy was MY sale.

I don't think I've seen it for sale since I sold it, until it reappeared in this 9.4 slab.

But... did anyone keep a copy of the scan of the 9.4 JLA #1 that was sold on Comiclink last year together with the 9.4 Flash #105? If anyone has a copy of that Flash scan, I'd like to see that too.

The flash #105 is now on Heritage. It was originally a 9.2 bought from heratigage. Someone cleaned the [embarrassing lack of self control] on the spin off and resubmitted it. If I knew how to post the images I would do it but I dont. Hey brad can you help me out? If you look at the upper right corner and the lower right corner they are identical.

The flash #105 is now on Heritage. It was originally a 9.2 bought from heratigage. Someone cleaned the [embarrassing lack of self control] on the spin off and resubmitted it. If I knew how to post the images I would do it but I dont. Hey brad can you help me out? If you look at the upper right corner and the lower right corner they are identical.

No doubt about it, they`re the same book. I don`t see any improvement except for the cleaning of whatever that was on the spine of the 9.2 copy. In my opinion, it was definitely a 9.2 before and is a very very soft 9.4 now.

Here`s the 9.2 copy sold in April 2004 on Heritage:

810013037o.jpg

and here`s the 9.4 copy that`s up in the Heritage October preview:

818015189o.jpg

Both the Flash 105 and JLA 1 were sold on Comiclink last year as a package deal, and now it appears whoever was the buyer is selling them. The reported price paid for them on CL was extremely aggressive, I would be very surprised if they get the same price on Heritage, particularly if people become aware that they`re both resubbed 9.2s.