• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.4 JLA #1 on Heritage

50 posts in this topic

My gut tells me they wont get those prices. The market feels a little soft right now.

I`ve been told by multiple sources that JP was the buyer at $125K from ComicLink. In retrospect, this was blindingly obvious. Crazy/record price paid for books within the last few years that are now being put on Heritage = 99.9% chance it was JP.

So in all likelihood no reserve on these books, and as you`ve mentioned, prices seem to be softening. Smells like a bath is going to be taken, particularly if people realize these are both resubs.

Stuff like this makes me happy that expensive books for me are $500 - $1000 books instead of 50 - 100K. I know the crack and resub game is defintely still occuring down at the $500 book level but the slope is a lot less slippery.

All this proves is the fallacy that with the introduction of CGC research and pre-purchase homework are a thing of the past. If anything with the insane multiplier now in effect, pre-purchase information in more important now than it ever was.

insane.gifjuggle.gif

All this proves is the fallacy that with the introduction of CGC research and pre-purchase homework are a thing of the past. If anything with the insane multiplier now in effect, pre-purchase information in more important now than it ever was.

insane.gifjuggle.gif

sems like a company could make some money keeping track of provenance of big-ticket books...kind of like a "pre-CGC" service company.

you get the guarantee before the grade! think of the money you could make!

insane.gifshy.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We talk about "resub" candidates all the time, why is this such a huge deal?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it demonstrates inconsistency in grading that can impact the integrity and reputation of CGC as an accurate grading service. Mystery solved!

Please...

You're to smart for that.

If every big time collector (including myself) realized that it really doesn't make sense to pay twice as much for a 9.4 as a 9.2, and that only a 10-20% difference made more sense, then resubmits wouldn't happen very much (and only for those who have to have 9.4 on label, not because of additional profits).

Until that time, it's US collectors that make it profitable to play the resubmit (or shall I say CGC inconsistency) game!!!!!

Which is exactly why I've stopped paying the 5X difference in price for the 10% difference in grade. hi.gif Sure I'm buying far fewer HG books as a result but you know I started to resent the HG books I bought after the fact. Often I'd sit down and think. What the 893censored-thumb.gif was I thinking paying 4-6X guide for a 9.4 when I could have had a 9.2 for straight guide.

IT just left me with a bad vibe, I mean why spend thousands on comics and then resent yourself for it screwy.gif So I guess I'm no longer a big time collector (if I ever was to begin with lol), but you know what, I'm a much happier one now. hi.gif

Which is exactly why I've stopped paying the 5X difference in price for the 10% difference in grade. hi.gif Sure I'm buying far fewer HG books as a result but you know I started to resent the HG books I bought after the fact. Often I'd sit down and think. What the 893censored-thumb.gif was I thinking paying 4-6X guide for a 9.4 when I could have had a 9.2 for straight guide.

IT just left me with a bad vibe, I mean why spend thousands on comics and then resent yourself for it screwy.gif So I guess I'm no longer a big time collector (if I ever was to begin with lol), but you know what, I'm a much happier one now. hi.gif

I agree completely. I have definitely stopped paying insane multiples for over 9.2 guide. I am certainly generally willing to pay more for something higher but for multiples the book would have to be a 9.8. I really regret that I wasn't as knowledgable about the resubmit game when I started dropping a lot of cash. I feel cheated which I blame myself for. You live, you learn. I've learned.

Even for Mile Highs I don't engage in multiples with respect to the grade. I simply take the 9.2 value and multiple that number. Doesn't mater whether it is a 9.2, 9.4 or 9.6.