• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Rosa pedilection...collectigree?

30 posts in this topic

I've asked outright before in other threads to no avail.

Is Don Rosa conisdered by CGC to be a collection, a pedigree, or a hybrid of some sort? Sure, it says collection, but then its located in the spot where a pedigree is designated. I see it being called a pedigree more than a collection.

Could it be that it is of pedigree quality, but not of pedigree depth since it is mostly Bronze - Copper?

Confusion!!!

I could buy that, but there have been a few recent collections, Mannarinos being one along with another that isn't coming to me right now, that were still in the center. Don Rosa maybe that much more recent? confused-smiley-013.gif

I believe it's a pedigree because he bought them himself (i.e. not second hand).

In theory, Pedigrees (i.e. shown on the Right Side of the Label) should be traced back to their original owner (or warehouse find / file copy).

Any Accumulation of books second hand is a COLLECTION.

I asked Steve Borock this recently and he said Don Rosa Collection is a pedigree. I then asked why the word "Collection" in the title, and his response was that he didn't want to have just the name "Don Rosa" listed on the label.

Personally I think it is misleading and confusing, but then again CGC doesn't consult with me on issues like this.

I asked Steve Borock this recently and he said Don Rosa Collection is a pedigree. I then asked why the word "Collection" in the title, and his response was that he didn't want to have just the name "Don Rosa" listed on the label.

Personally I think it is misleading and confusing, but then again CGC doesn't consult with me on issues like this.

You're kidding. DRC is considered a pedigree? Further muddying of the waters. Would it kill CGC to list a definitive list of pedigrees vs collections on their website? makepoint.gif

You're kidding. DRC is considered a pedigree? Further muddying of the waters. Would it kill CGC to list a definitive list of pedigrees vs collections on their website? makepoint.gif

Just some sort of consistency on their part would help.

couldn't they have just said, Don Rosa Pedigree on the label. why use collection then...

I love the Don Rosa books. I bought two and they're outstanding copies. Give me raw high grade JLAs any day of the week!!!!

couldn't they have just said, Don Rosa Pedigree on the label. why use collection then...

I love the Don Rosa books. I bought two and they're outstanding copies. Give me raw high grade JLAs any day of the week!!!!

Or even Don Rosa Copy, there's a precedent there.

I've asked outright before in other threads to no avail.

Is Don Rosa conisdered by CGC to be a collection, a pedigree, or a hybrid of some sort? Sure, it says collection, but then its located in the spot where a pedigree is designated. I see it being called a pedigree more than a collection.

Could it be that it is of pedigree quality, but not of pedigree depth since it is mostly Bronze - Copper?

Confusion!!!

I believe the books go back to the silver age (even very early silver if I'm not mistaken). However, only post 1970s books are being sold on eBay. Maybe someone who was in Chicago this year would know better???

I don't know what happened in the previous post.

I believe the books go back to the silver age (even very early silver if I'm not mistaken). However, only post 1970s books are being sold on eBay. Maybe someone who was in Chicago this year would know better???

This collection of Don Rosa books being offered is only Bronze Age/Copper Age books.

Don Rosa has full runs of Silver Age and Golden Age books but they won't be under the Don Rosa Collection pedigree designation.

This collection of Don Rosa books being offered is only Bronze Age/Copper Age books.

Don Rosa has full runs of Silver Age and Golden Age books but they won't be under the Don Rosa Collection pedigree designation.

That's strange, why is that?

$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Some other designation? No designation at all? I think I'm not understand how not being tossed under the same pedigree will net more cash. I gotta be missing some angle.

It does sound confusing. I was thinking because it has "collection" in the title that the comics were NOT a pedigree.

Read an auction description to get more info.

Don Rosa

My guess regarding GA and SA is that some (if not many) were NOT purchased first hand by Don Rosa. Therefore they really don't qualify for being a pedigree.

Also, while I don't know this for a fact, my guess is that most of the BA books were Pre-Screened at 9.4. Therefore, if you are buying RAW 9.4's from this collection, it's possible that this book did not make the cut (but of course could still be a 9.4 since only the pre-grader looked at the book).

Also, while I don't know this for a fact, my guess is that most of the BA books were Pre-Screened at 9.4. Therefore, if you are buying RAW 9.4's from this collection, it's possible that this book did not make the cut (but of course could still be a 9.4 since only the pre-grader looked at the book).

I think that some of the runs may have been purchased prior to being sent to cgc, which would mean there are likely some true NM Don Rosa's that are still raw.