• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk Pedigrees by Issue

9 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure the PC #1 was a resub gone awry- 8.5 down to 8.0.

Yes, I believe you are correct.

It's also my opinion that the Hulk #1 and TTA #27 (and maybe even FF #5) Pacific Coast copies were bought second hand. I say that because there are gaps in those titles after that.

Did somehow the owner realize to pick up key issues, not collect for six months and then start collecting again. Plus all of those issues are graded 8.0 or below whereas the next issues of those runs are 9.4's or higher.

It's also my opinion that the Hulk #1 and TTA #27 (and maybe even FF #5) Pacific Coast copies were bought second hand. I say that because there are gaps in those titles after that.

Did somehow the owner realize to pick up key issues, not collect for six months and then start collecting again. Plus all of those issues are graded 8.0 or below whereas the next issues of those runs are 9.4's or higher.

Sheer speculation on my part, Steve, but an alternative possibility is that the OO may have been too young to take premium care of his purchases in '61 and early '62, and only became mature in his collecting habits toward the end of '62 or the beginning of '63.

This seems to be the case for the Mass pedigree, for instance. I've got a run of the ten cent Mass Detectives, and while they've retained the color and paper preservation of the collection as a whole, the books have clearly been handled with less care than the later vintage Mass Marvels.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheer speculation on my part, Steve, but an alternative possibility is that the OO may have been too young to take premium care of his purchases in '61 and early '62, and only became mature in his collecting habits toward the end of '62 or the beginning of '63.

This seems to be the case for the Mass pedigree, for instance. I've got a run of the ten cent Mass Detectives, and while they've retained the color and paper preservation of the collection as a whole, the books have clearly been handled with less care than the later vintage Mass Marvels.

I actually suggested that possiblity to Doug Schmell. But the fact that there are gaps in the issues (as oppose to just a jump in grade) makes me believe they were second hand. Especially since it is three Key issues (like anyone knew TTA #27 was a key at the time). The next TTA PC copy is not for another year (not even TTA #35).

What about peds for issue 102 on?

I might do that one day. But then I would have to do Cap. Amer., Iron-Man, Sub-Mariner, etc.

I basically stuck to the early SA titles because the early issues are the toughest to find in high grade. And I wanted to know which pedigree issues had already been certified, to determine if it was likely (or unlikely) for a few (or lot) more HG issues to eventually be certifed.

By 1968, there are plenty of HG (9.4 or better) non pedigree copies.

Obviously, if CGC allow a certificate lookup by Pedigree, I could do all the Marvel titles fairly quickly (and I like making spreadsheets).