• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone know about this?

18 posts in this topic

Apparently there were 'Original Art Conventions' in the 70s - and Vault Auctions is auctioning off a few programs. This one show the first concept drawing Joe Simon sent to Martin Goodman of Captain America!?!?

It's baffling to think about how much OA is out there that we don't even know about. Are these available to view online? Is there a collected edition? Does anyone know what was at these conventions/in the programs?!?

http://www.vaultauctions.com/?lotDetail&LOTID=9034

dem. yes. they were comic conventions back in the 70,s but only a few of them had guest artist with original comic art. unless they were local. show promoters did not start flying in guest artist till the 80.s when most big show started to take off.

as for original art in the 70.s there was not a big demand for it, most did not know it existed. and some artist even gave the stuff away if you asked.

dc used to cut up pages and give out panels to tour groups. editors would also give out pages to the best letter in the letter page in the comics. i was told that when marvel started publishing overseas. and had editors visit the main office in ny. they would give them original pages to take back home with them,

if you wrote hal foster he would send you a panel cut from a prince valiant sunday.

i had a buddy of mine in 79 or 80 pay a visit to joe simon. they became good friends. he asked about all the cap art from the 40.s he and kirby did. simon told him oh yeah all that stuff is in the attic. i did not think anybody would want that stuff. my buddy said he had 100 .s of pages there, so joe just gave him 25 pages for free. he said he threw out some clothes to make room for the art in his suitcase.

so yes. there still is a lot of art out there hidden. but who knows how much art was tossed by artist because they did not have the room to store it.

larry ;]

Larry,

Does your buddy still have the 25 pages? Have you seen them? That's incredible. I thought the program on Vault was for a convention that solely focused on OA. It seems like if you grew up in or around Long Island/NYC and were privy to these artists, then getting OA early on was much easier because that's where they all lived/worked.

MORE STORIES PLEASE!!

yes those pages would be worth a small kings ransom today. i have not heard from my old buddy in years. i use to live in jersey. and he was the manager of a comic store called fat jacks comic crypt. they had stores in philly and jersey. if anyone are from that area. iam sure they know the places.

anyway iam pretty sure he sold or traded a good portion of the pages for cash or other art, who knows. i just know comic art flowed like water back in them days and i saw a ton of stuff that was dirt cheap. that today would pay for you house three times over. but when you young dumb and full of c-- well you get my drift. larry ;]

What is your friend's name? How's this for ironic? Fat Jack's was my favorite comic store as a kid. My Dads' office was on City Line Ave. in Philly right across the street - so from 11yrs old I would go there. The place was amazing - they would get KEY marvels and sell them for an avg. of fine guide when fine guide meant I could buy ASM #3 for $15 and JIM #83 for $20. These were the days where you could hear about books that were going to become hot and then actually find them in the back issue boxes...but I NEVER remember OA being available. However, I only went to the store on Samson St. once or twice. I wonder if I could track him down...

KK,

I definitely have started collecting OA. I'll have my Comicart-L page up within the next two weeks. It is addicting and I truly enjoy hearing stories and seeing art. I would like nothing more than if this thread focused solely on showing off art and discussing it. I think, so far, that the ASM cover thread has been my favorite.

"What will people be paying BIG $$$ for in 10 years?" I think the same thing they're paying big $$ for now --- covers, splash pages, Kirby, Ditko, etc...I think when you eventually unleash your bounty on the OA market, it will really help to expand the market and open it up to a larger audience. I think the major dilemma is now, that there isn't enough "quality product" for all of the potential buyers out there now. I think this OA market has all the markings of tremendous potential - rabid fans, extremely limited product, those with prime pieces refusing to sell for any rational price...take the Gray Morrow Punisher painting - it closed at $5600 and someone immediately offered double because they missed their opportunity and it is a significant piece of Punisher history. What other market offers these kinds of returns/opportunities? If I miss a CGC book and offer the buyer double - who wouldn't jump at that?!? But because the OA market is so arable, the answer is more likely to be "no, I won't accept double..." How KRAZY is that?!? So yeah, OA is better than scurvy, and it's also better than buying a raw book and finding out that it's restored!

Everyone - please feel free to PM me stories and pics or post them!

KK,

I definitely have started collecting OA. I'll have my Comicart-L page up within the next two weeks. ........... What other market offers these kinds of returns/opportunities? If I miss a CGC book and offer the buyer double - who wouldn't jump at that?!? But because the OA market is so arable, the answer is more likely to be "no, I won't accept double..." How KRAZY is that?!? So yeah, OA is better than scurvy, and it's also better than buying a raw book and finding out that it's restored!

AAAARRRRR