• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

printings; 1st, 2nd, etc.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dergrosse13 said:

So for the uninitiated, how does the UPC code suggest this is a ninth printing? Can that info always be found via reference to the UPC code?

Frequently, the last two digits of the UPC code are the variant and printing.  So, in the code on this book, it suggests main cover (1), 9th printing.  But this is inconsistent and unreliable; such as the Thanos issue above.

Trying to find examples where I have multiple covers.  Let's go with Black Widow #2 to show the variant number in the code.  The Hughes Cover is 1 and the Campbell cover is 6:

The Legion issue shows the printings in the code.  The Cardstock variant ends in 21 to show the 2nd variant, 1st print.  The 2nd printing ends in 12, 1st (only) variant, 2nd print.  I have the 1st print that ends in 11 but not scanned and my scanner is broken:

Black_Widow_02_2020.jpg

Black_Widow_02b_2020.jpg

LSH_06.2.jpg

LSH_06.3.jpg

13 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Frequently, the last two digits of the UPC code are the variant and printing.  So, in the code on this book, it suggests main cover (1), 9th printing.  But this is inconsistent and unreliable; such as the Thanos issue above.

Trying to find examples where I have multiple covers.  Let's go with Black Widow #2 to show the variant number in the code.  The Hughes Cover is 1 and the Campbell cover is 6:

The Legion issue shows the printings in the code.  The Cardstock variant ends in 21 to show the 2nd variant, 1st print.  The 2nd printing ends in 12, 1st (only) variant, 2nd print.  I have the 1st print that ends in 11 but not scanned and my scanner is broken:

Black_Widow_02_2020.jpg

Black_Widow_02b_2020.jpg

LSH_06.2.jpg

LSH_06.3.jpg

Not to be a pain, but you're saying I can't trust any UPC codes, including the ones you showed and referred to, because by your explanations, The Thanos SHOULD be 9th print!

10 minutes ago, Spawnfreak said:

Not to be a pain, but you're saying I can't trust any UPC codes, including the ones you showed and referred to, because by your explanations, The Thanos SHOULD be 9th print!

Pretty much, unfortunately.  I was trying to answer @Dergrosse13's question about how the codes are most commonly read, with examples where it does work.  But it doesn't work on the Thanos issue.

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Pretty much, unfortunately.  I was trying to answer @Dergrosse13's question about how the codes are most commonly read, with examples where it does work.  But it doesn't work on the Thanos issue.

Thanks for the info, I think. I'm probably overthinking  this whole thing.

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:
17 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

Yeah, it's a good starting point to identify an issue, but since the publishers don't always follow the standard for whatever reason, it can't be relied upon.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:29 PM, OtherEric said:

Black_Widow_02_2020.jpg

Black_Widow_02b_2020.jpg

LSH_06.2.jpg

LSH_06.3.jpg

Thanks — this was really helpful and interesting.