• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Submission Issues...Help!

21 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been covered in other threads but some of the information is a few years old and i am stuck on how to proceed. Any help is appreciated. 

I ordered the Submission Box from CGC and watched the video on this site. The video states to pack your books in the order on the packing slip. I do not have a packing slip. Was one supposed to be included? I cannot find a place to print one. I tried to use the online submission form but despite putting in all of the information for each book it does not allow me to click on the  "NEXT" button to proceed. What am I doing wrong? 

You will get a packing slip once you finish your entire order online and submit it. An email will be sent with the packing slip attached. 

So, the real issue is that you can't get them submitted online correctly. What does your screen look like?

Just now, xvipah said:

You will get a packing slip once you finish your entire order online and submit it. An email will be sent with the packing slip attached. 

So, the real issue is that you can't get them submitted online correctly. What does your screen look like?

I have 8 books to submit. The problem I am having is getting the information accepted so that I can click on the "NEXT" Button to go to the services requested. (Grading and a Press). I have been trying to input the information for 2 Amazing Spiderman 300's but it will not accept the issue number with the publishing date(05/88) so it will not allow me to proceed. No idea what I am doing wrong. Been at this for over an hour.

2 hours ago, xvipah said:

The 4k is just a number, btw, that'll be up to you to decide based on what you think the value will be.

That is confusing as well. I was putting in 200 dollars for the declared value as that is the tier I am submitting them in. Would putting in a 4,000 dollar value increase the cost of having the book graded? I am also submitting a BONE #1 and #2 and I know they are up in the thousands?

16 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

That is confusing as well. I was putting in 200 dollars for the declared value as that is the tier I am submitting them in. Would putting in a 4,000 dollar value increase the cost of having the book graded? I am also submitting a BONE #1 and #2 and I know they are up in the thousands?

Yes, higher dollar value = higher priced tier.

Please note that the dollar value is also equal to the insurance placed on each book, should something happen to it while in their hands or in shipping back to you.

162110553_ScreenShot2021-02-09at6_39_49PM.thumb.png.1d868e6b6431359062c86d044cc817e0.png

Edited by Chazgee

So what you declare is what they will insure it for when they mail it back Yes, it's more expensive, but if you don't declare enough (and, btw, you want to declare what you think it will be worth AFTER grading) you could lose a whole lot of money if something happens in the mail. Because of that, as Renegade said, CGC will bump it if you declare way too low anyway.

Edited by xvipah

9 minutes ago, Renegade of Funk said:

If you declare $200 and it's too low CGC will bump you up to the correct tier. But it doesn't go the other way, they will not bump you down.

Also, if the Bone #1 gets damaged in the mail, would you be happy receiving $200 or it?

No, that makes a lot of sense. And considering I just had an +80,000 dollar comic collection stolen I am simply trying to preserve what value I have left.

But this is getting pricy and the value of the book will be determined by how it is graded and that is what I do not know. A BONE #1 9.8 can be valued upwards of 10 grand but a 8.9? Less than  thousand. Honestly, this is a hard thing to get into...the grading of these books. But I appreciate everyone advice.

So I just changed Bone #1 and #2 and two Amazing Spider-man #300 to a declared value of 3000 a piece. (anything above that requires you to walk it in i guess) and the price for 4 books will be $700 plus 60 for shipping back plus an 8 dollar processing fee plus whatever USPS will charge me to mail the books to CGC. So, well over 800 dollars for 4 books. Am I doing the math right? Is that really the cost of doing this???

2 minutes ago, Renegade of Funk said:

I think that's a little overboard. I would use completed raw sales since your books are raw. Have you checked completed auctions for similar raw book sales? Do you know how to grade enough to get a ballpark grade? Are you just guessing at the value? Walk Thru is by mail fyi especially with the Covid.

Thanks. I will do the Raw value thing.

So 2 things.

1) I'm not sure an ASM 300 is going to be worth 3k a piece unless you think that both are 9.8+?

2) Yes that's the cost of doing this for very high value comics. The good news is that because of the comic value and those tiers, you'll have them graded and back pretty quickly. As opposed to waiting for 6 months or so like we do for most of the comics.

It really boils down to your ability to grade the high value stuff. At lower tiers it doesn't matter as much, but once you start getting to those sorts of issues, you need to be able to determine value.

Edited by xvipah

This is the part I do not like. It should not cost 2-3x or whatever as much to grade a book just because it is valuable. If more insurance for loss/damage is needed, then I think the amounts being charged far exceed that cost. Afterall, we get shipping insurance for far less from USSP, etc. And, honestly, I may be sending in some books that are $600-1000 if they come back 9.8s, but frankly, if i am clueless and/or miss something and they're 8.5s then they're worth way less than $200. why should I get pressured into making an estimate?

On 2/9/2021 at 6:57 PM, Greatwhite said:

But this is getting pricy and the value of the book will be determined by how it is graded and that is what I do not know. 

The value of the book is based on what you want back if it gets lost. I had a Thor 337 that was a 9.8 candidate. If they lost it, I would want back the price of a 9.8 whether or not that's what the comic is, so that's the value I wrote.

Also, every different tier means a different shipment of books back to you, so more costs. 

Ok. A different subject and any advice is appreciated. Have two ASM 300 to submit but I was thinking about waiting to send them in for a McFarlane signature and a yellow label. I looked through other threads but no real answers. Will I be waiting potentially years before McFarlane does a CGC signing? How does this process work? I am assuming  that it is more expensive.

They have a schedule on the website:
https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/events/

No idea if you can request specific people, etc...

1 minute ago, Greatwhite said:

Ok. A different subject and any advice is appreciated. Have two ASM 300 to submit but I was thinking about waiting to send them in for a McFarlane signature and a yellow label. I looked through other threads but no real answers. Will I be waiting potentially years before McFarlane does a CGC signing? How does this process work? I am assuming  that it is more expensive.