• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why isn't this forum called 'OA Value Talk'

11 posts in this topic

I mean, aside from the flaming that's going on, which is pathetic on all sides, 90% of what anyone has to contribute on here is about value-value-value.

Oh boy, it's all worth so much!! Shout it down from the rooftops, halelujah original art is valuable! Big whoop.

Those dog-eared OA pages with the brown spots and copious amounts of white-out, and part stat, etc., look like garbage, I don't care how much it's 'worth'.

Now, how about someone tell me why they like a piece of art because it looks good instead of because of how much it's worth, but make sure it's a piece that actually looks good and not some POS that's just 'valuable'.

sign-rantpost.gif

That is how I have always bought art. If it appeals to me and can afford it I will buy it. I couldnt care less if its worth XX amount or who did it.

This is probably one of the cheapest I have bought in the past, but to this day it is still one of my favorites

jaguargod.jpg

Now, how about someone tell me why they like a piece of art because it looks good instead of because of how much it's worth, but make sure it's a piece that actually looks good and not some POS that's just 'valuable'.

sign-rantpost.gif

I hardly make a comment about a piece's worth, unless to say I can't afford it. I will say I LOVE the cover to Lucifer 14 by Duncan Fegredo, and have since I saw it printed on the comic. Subsequently I hunted it down (splashpageart.com) and was able to get it.

The cover to Lucifer 31(Chris Moeller) is also amazing and I am in work on getting it. Hard to explain why I like both pieces so much. Thye just appeal to me. I think its the hands, and also why I like Phil Hale paintings so much.

Something is only worth as much as you can get for it, which makes the 2 Lucifer covers worthless, because once I have them they are not going to another collection for a Looong time.

Mike

That is how I have always bought art. If it appeals to me and can afford it I will buy it. I couldnt care less if its worth XX amount or who did it.

This is probably one of the cheapest I have bought in the past, but to this day it is still one of my favorites

jaguargod.jpg

Nice one Nikos! That's the spirit I want to see more often around here.

Just trying to provide a 'get real' moment for those who seem to be obssessed by OA value, regardless of the aesthetic appearance of the piece they're touting. Just because someone will pay x amount of dollars for a piece doesn't make it pretty to look at. AND THAT'S WHAT ART IS FOR, TO BE APPRECIATED AS SOMETHING NICE TO LOOK AT, NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH IT CAN GARNER IN A SALE!

jaguargod.jpg

Nice one Nikos! That's the spirit I want to see more often around here.

Just trying to provide a 'get real' moment for those who seem to be obssessed by OA value, regardless of the aesthetic appearance of the piece they're touting. Just because someone will pay x amount of dollars for a piece doesn't make it pretty to look at. AND THAT'S WHAT ART IS FOR, TO BE APPRECIATED AS SOMETHING NICE TO LOOK AT, NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH IT CAN GARNER IN A SALE!

And what exactly are comic BOOKS about? Yeah, that's right.... READING. Well, most people on these CGC boards don't seem to be doing a whole lot of reading these days..... unless they're reading labels! wink.gifpoke2.gif

Value discussion is extremely relevant when you're spending as much as some of us here do. I only buy pieces that I really like; stuff that looks great or is from a series I love.

I hope most of my favorite pieces never leave my collection, but when it comes time to buy a new house, some of the art's gonna have to go. If it does, I'd obviously rather make money than lose it and the only way to make that happen is to make smart, educated purchases.

I love my original art. However, I know that it does have value. I like talking about value. I trade alot and want to know how much I'm giving up and how much I'm getting. I like the chase, so I trade alot, building to that one piece I can't live without. So, talk value all you want. There's nothing wrong with it and don't listen to all these hypocrites who say they're on this board JUST TO TALK ABOUT THIS WEEK'S STORYLINES. Yeah, right. The only reading most people on these boards are doing is from the blue labels on the plastic holders they have in their clammy hands.