• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 12 CGC 9.4 ON EBAY NOW ..Undisclosed writing okay or not?

78 posts in this topic

Although the seller is one of the best I have done business with,

This book has a LIGHT pencilled name on the back cover but is not disclosed in the auction description. After contacting him I got the " I didn't list the BC writing because CGC didn't think it warranted listing it in it's notes

Do you guys agree with this mentality?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32739&item=2167315266&rd=1

With a few forum members bidding and prices getting up there for a Cream paged book with writing I thought an FYI might be in order.

Always get a back cover scan on a high end book.

12BACK.jpg

Best

M

Do you guys agree with this mentality?

Simply put...no I don't...I believe all known markings should be fully disclosed and mentioned in the listing..

That's what I did in MY AUCTION and I think others should do the same....

"Do you guys agree with this mentality?"

No. I think it's an under handed, deceptive mentality. In the little bit of selling that I describe any defects that are not apparent in the scans and I offer a money back guarantee on all books, CGCed or not. Using CGC as a scapegoat is BS.

If I get a CGC book that has undisclosed writing on it. I would most likely leave a neutral. CGC is not the end to all grading, it needs to be treated as a medium..and not as "the label is the grade".

Brian

One defense on the sellers behalf is that he did provide me with a back cover scan immediately after I requested it and remarked the writing at that point obviously smile.gif

I advised him that he should revise the auction to include that in the description but that has not been done.

Bottomline is that you must always have a front and back cover scan to properly bid anymore with the lack of CGC'S notes disclosure.

Would an auction that has a front and back scan get more bids? Or is that too much to download for you dial up guys?

I have been thinking of encorporating a full CGC label , full front scan, and full back scan in my future auctions.

Any input?

though he didnt disclose the writing which he should have it doesnt effect the grade of the book, a 9.4 is a 9.4........ but this may be more of a personal issue, someone may not want a book with writing on it no matter what the grade,they may find the writing unacceptable and personaly downgrade the book.

A 9.4 is a 9.4?

I am not sure if I agree with that.

What if the writing on the back cover filled half the back cover in expletives?

And an otherwise not so structurally perfect copy had a clean back cover?

Both are grade CGC 9.4.

Are the really both 9.4's?

I know in my personal experience of grading through the slab, the label is not necessarily an indicator of the book inside.

There are many overgraded books out there, that should not be a question to this forum anymore.

So is a 9.4 really a 9.4?

I have a few that I GUARANTEE you would not resub the same NM grade.