• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 12 CGC 9.4 ON EBAY NOW ..Undisclosed writing okay or not?

78 posts in this topic

Oh - like this guy is trying to hide something? Whatever. My issue is as stated - anyone worrying about this lightly pencilled in name on the back cover needs to get a grip. I bet the seller thinks like i do. I doubt I would have mentioned it either as its effect on the appearance of the book is nil.

. I doubt I would have mentioned it either as its effect on the appearance of the book is nil.

That's funny because I can see the "effect" of it on the back as plain as day. smirk.gif Maybe you need to invest in some glasses? smirk.gif I take it that you don't care if you are the buyer of an undisclosed "effect" like someone's name inscribbed on the back of a book? confused.gif

Is this some inside joke I'm unaware of? blush.gif

You don't have anything to say about Matt's claims including:

Say I was a potential bidder on one of your auctions, how would you explain it to me that you are bidding on your own auctions to drive up the price?

If we are talking about eBay auctions, then you know eBay's policy on shill bidding that applies across the board to EVERYONE.

Personally, I find your silent lack of a response to be both confusing and sad... frown.gif

What if the writing on the back cover filled half the back cover in expletives?

The Major's favorite - this would be a 9.4 except for...

And as for your other question MAtt - I've tried the complete front and back scans and label as well. If you are selling Modern books then you really don't need to go that route and should always disclose any wirting on it? Beside what collector nowadays would write his name on his USM 1 white cover? If selling Bronze even, wroting may not be as prevalent. Silver and earlier should have full disclosure. The small name is not so bad IMO on that book that your buddy has up. But if you decide to list all the components you suggested, make sure you code the auction to include a SMALL thumbnail that is clickable and linked to the full pics...so you are covered. Talk to Rickdogg about that code...allows one to resize the jpg thumbnail so that dial up folks can choose whther or not they want to tie up their system.

But it's not. Just b/c CGC calls something a 9.4 doesn't absolutely HAVE to mean it's a 9.4. They may be an independant third party but they certainly aren't going to be 100 percent accurate. And they're not. And I have sold 9.4's that I thought were overgraded, CGC is an opinion. That's it. It's not the proverbial end-all. Maybe for some people it is, but it certainly shouldn't be. You should judge the book inside the slab, not the label.

Brian

That's interesting, so basically you're telling the people who like a clean solid book that they're nuts? Okay then, chalk this one up to another person bashing on other's likes and dislikes. You like date stamps and writing on your book? Great, say so. We don't. Quit complaining about others preferences and then attempting to make a blanket stereotype about us that is so utterly ridiculous it's laughable.

Brian

The meaningful appearance of the book being the front cover artwork dork. No duh there is a pencil name on the back - I wear contacs so no need for glasses thanks. The writing has no negative impact on the quality of the important part of the book - the front cover artwork. what if your Picasso had some writing on the back side? EWWW - send it back. Why don't you people find something more meaningful to worry about. It is specifically this type of fretting that gives collectors of this type of stuff a bad name and subjects you to ridicule in the eye of the regular public.

>>I love the anal ninnies around here squaking about baloney like this. Yeah that back cover is very important to me - it must be mark free or it is just not worthy of my collection.

Yo Clobber, last time I looked it was still a free country and people are still able to spend their money as they see fit. If CGC wants to give a 9.4 to a POS book with Cream Pages and a scrawl on the back cover, then I say let them slit their own wrists.

Just don't be a bozo and expect rational people to bid on it.

The meaningful appearance of the book being the front cover artwork dork.

Well, well I have found another front cover grader in the comic biz, what a shock! smirk.gif Translation = Front cover 100% Back cover 0% = Grade

Say, you wouldn't be a dealer would you? The reason I ask is because this is common dealer mentality. "The Cover is what counts, who cares about the back of a book, nobody reads/cares about the back of a book." This is also the method used by "lazy" graders. smirk.gif

No duh there is a pencil name on the back - I wear contacs so no need for glasses thanks.

ROFL! laugh.gif Shall I go find a cleenex for you? It might help to clean your contacs! laugh.gif Especially considering all the tears rolling down your face!

The writing has no negative impact on the quality of the important part of the book

According to who a buyer or a seller? How about I make a Modern "pedigree" with my name on it, and sell em' to you? You wouldn't care as long as my name is on the back right?

the front cover artwork.

Ok, I'll take that as a "I wouldn't care if your name was on the back".

what if your Picasso had some writing on the back side?

Oh please, get out of here with apples to oranges comparisons. smirk.gif

It is specifically this type of fretting that gives collectors of this type of stuff a bad name and subjects you to ridicule in the eye of the regular public.

Fretting? Complaining about somebody's name inscribbed on the back of a comic that wasn't disclosed is unjust fretting? Sorry pal, but if the shoe fits...

Thanks for proving my point. Are you the same guy as majorkhaos? And no I am no dealer but am probably one of the largest buyers on these boards and have been collecting since before the better part of you ended up being a mattress stain.

Thanks for proving my point.

Proving your point? lol! laugh.gif Hell, I didn't even support your point. smirk.gif

Are you the same guy as majorkhaos?

Not even close, but don't believe me, ask him for yourself. Ask Arch if you would like, I don't care.

And no I am no dealer but am probably one of the largest buyers on these boards

...and tell me how would you KNOW this? I personally think the Zillatoy has you beat by a longshot. smirk.gif Who gives a damn about how many books you buy, that still doesn't give you the ability to grade a book! smirk.gif If you believe everythingthing you read in eBay auctions, then we've all been collecting for 30 years too! smirk.gif Oh, and dealers are the largest buyers... smirk.gif

since before the better part of you ended up being a mattress stain.

I would reply, except I think you did a mighty fine job of showing how personally insulting you can be and the coldness with which you can deliver such remarks. Congratulations, I couldn' t be THAT cold if I tried to be.

Don't worry about it MoS, Clobby is just holding a pile of steadily-declining CGC books and has just now figured out that aren't listed on the NYSE.

"Sell, sell, sell"

You wait til the comic movie machine tanks out, and you're gonna see some real angry people. confused.gif

This book has a LIGHT pencilled name on the back cover but is not disclosed in the auction description. After contacting him I got the " I didn't list the BC writing because CGC didn't think it warranted listing it in it's notes

Do you guys agree with this mentality?

I find this thread extremely fascinating, and I'm glad you brought this to our attention notch_top. About a month ago, we had a forum member report how he was unfairly negged by a buyer who didn't agree with the CGC grade the book recieved (sorry, but I can't remember the actual CGC forum member, but I vaguely remember it being a 9.6 or 9.8 slab that had some corne rounding or a nicked top or bottom edge). I thought that in that incident, the buyers actions were dispicable, and were motivated more by his feelings for the seller, than the actual defects of the book. Any reasonable buyer will communicate any issues about the book with the seller, and not resort to alarmist approaches like negging because they disagree with the CGC grade. My opinion then as it is now -- buyer beware -- if you are dropping some serious money on a book, regardless of whether its a slabbed comic, in hyper-premium grades, ask for close-up/enlarged scans.

On a similar level, we now are passing judgement on a book whereby the seller has failed to dislose pencil marks on the rear cover. I'm not nearly as bent-out of shape with the fact that the seller failed to disclose this defect as I am with his attitude. Quite frankly, his take it or leave it attitude is not conducive to any high premium sale, and will likely have the buyer asking for a refund!!! If its not in the description, then according to ebay's rules and policies, the buyer has grounds for a refund -- CGC sale, or no CGC sale. If the auction continues without making comment about the pencil mark, then it will likely be a relist.

Fundamentally speaking, just as in the case where the buyer on a previous thread was disgusted enough to neg the seller, and hold him accountable for a non-biased grade with which the buyer disagreed, I do believe there is just cause to ask for a refund on the ASM 12 9.4 that fails to document pencil marks. But it all comes down to the kind of seller you are dealing with. Quite frankly, from the sounds of his reply on the matter, I wouldn't want to be in a refund situation. I agree with you notch_top -- this is one of those cases -- caveat emptor -- ask for scans, ask for details, and even when it comes across as being anal, hey, its your hard-earned money that you are talking about. ASK, ASK, ASK.

I bought a GS X-Men 1 that was CGC graded VF/NM 9.0 on eBay about 4 years ago. This was just before the book value doubled in the guide. The seller did not include an image, and failed to include the comments in his description. Prior to bidding, I asked the seller to divulge any observable defects, comments on the label, page quality, etc. The seller replied that the book was a NM comic -- there was nothing wrong with it. When the book arrived, guess what I discoved -- the comment: moderate rust on staples shocked.gif The seller had the nerve to tell me it was no big deal, and that if it was a problem, it would never have recieved a 9.0 grade! I was screwed. I got killed on duties, paid for express shipment, and the seller was trying to screw me on "restocking fees" -- nothing gets my blood boiling more than those two words -- so I was already out a few bucks... to ask for a refund wouldn't have worked. I negotiated half of my money be refunded, so I ended-up paying the F+ price for a VF/NM comic. A few weeks later, the new guide came out, and the NM price doubled, I wasn't nearly as pee-d off anymore about it. It is because of my experience with this particular incident that I don't agree entirely with CGC's decision to not include comments, because in theory, I could easily reslab that book, and the new buyer would never know. Good luck trying to identify rusted staples on a squarebound comic -- especially in a slab frown.gif