• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED.

50 posts in this topic

My well runneth dry right now but I absolutely love these British editions!  Very cool stuff, @batmiesta!!

Interesting bit of trivia- in the 1970s, the editor of Marvel UK had dreams of being a musician and ended up leaving and eventually starting one of the most successful bands of the 1980s and 1990s.  

Spoiler

His name is Neil Tennant and the band is the Pet Shop Boys.  True story.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:14 AM, batmiesta said:

Usual board rules apply, :takeit: posted in the thread trumps all, even agreed PM deals, so post :takeit: to avoid any arguments or disappointment.  Please feel free to ask any questions and for more pictures if needed. Paypal only please, books shipped via UK postal service, unless otherwise requested.  Returns accepted if unhappy for any reason.

Here is a lovely copy of The Super-Heroes weekly from Marvel UK 1975, this book is becoming impossible to find in this shape with the poster still intact. The poster shown is just to let you see what it actually looks like.

Asking $150 shipped.

supereheroes 1 _zps6b9o61n6.jpg

DSC01816.JPG

DSC00222_zpsacvqgqre.jpg

Take per PM

On 2/15/2021 at 2:52 PM, Randall Dowling said:

My well runneth dry right now but I absolutely love these British editions!  Very cool stuff, @batmiesta!!

Interesting bit of trivia- in the 1970s, the editor of Marvel UK had dreams of being a musician and ended up leaving and eventually starting one of the most successful bands of the 1980s and 1990s.  

Reveal hidden contents

His name is Neil Tennant and the band is the Pet Shop Boys.  True story.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, batmiesta said:

I never knew that.

(thumbsu

Neil Tennant.jpg  

Neil Francis Tennant was born in 1954 in North Shields near Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, the son of William and Sheila Tennant and the brother of Susan, Simon and Philip Tennant. He was educated first at St Cuthbert's Grammar school and then at the North London Polytechnic, where he obtained a degree in History. From 1975-1977, Tennant was employed as the London Editor of Marvel UK; succeeding Matt Softley, his duties including altering American spellings to British ones and changing exclusively American cultural references to ones considered to be more familiar to British readers for the reprint weeklies, as well as indicating where artwork needed to be modified for the (at the time) generally younger British audience, in order to conceal partial (usually female) nudity on artwork taken from the US black & white magazines, which were originally intended for an older readership.

Having failed to distinguish himself in the comics industry, in 1977 Tennant left it (he was succeeded at Marvel by Nick Laing) and slipped into comparative obscurity: reputedly, he ended up working in the 'music business' as part of a popular music duo called 'the Pet Shop Boys', which has presumably provided him with some sort of living ever since, however meagre.

They have a website, apparently: http://www.petshopboys.co.uk